I'm over winter!

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by EJ, Jan 13, 2018.

1. EJ

EJ Allotmenteer Extraordinaire

image.jpeg And as I am back, I thought i would post a picture of the glorious sunshine on my allotment, in the form of these old fashion French marigolds. I literally scattered a few seeds in a row in front of my runner bean poles and up they came and just flowered their hearts out until the frost did for them. I didn't dead head or bother them at all. They have such a funny, familiar scent to them when you brush past and it gave me a real sense of dejavu and childhood memories.

Jewell, Frank, Sjoerd and 3 others like this.
  2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Oh I sooo long to see flowers in my garden again. Spring hurry up please I miss you. Thanks for bringing a smile to my face Emma. :)

4. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I love Marigolds, and always have clusters of yellow marigolds in my borders.
    I'm so done with winter too ... 65 days until spring and I can't wait!

5. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Ach....those really are good to see during these dreary days. I just lurve those things and use them on our lottie as well. I know what you mean about the smell of the disturbed foliage --it is indeed a special smell and also takes me back to the veggie and flower beds that my grandparents had outside their house. I would play in the rows there for hours. My interests began really early on.
    Do you expect them to come up next year in that same place?
    Anyhow, this foto does really brighten-up my day.

Advertisement
  6. kate

kate In Flower

7. EJ

EJ Allotmenteer Extraordinaire

I wonder if the seed that has spilled from the spent flowers will have survived the winter? If so, then yes Sjoerd, I'm expecting marigolds to pop up everywhere, a bit like the nasturtiums that I planted years ago, and now, without fail, they appear far and wide.

Sjoerd likes this.
  8. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Ahhhh....that will look so nice.

9. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

I have always deadheaded but I didn't because of our move and no place to keep them while the house was being shown. The ones you buy at the nursery are so small and so many are dwarf size. Cosmos have reseeded in my yard before but I have never noticed the marigolds. I have had petunias come up too as long as you don't disturb the ground where they are. I love marigolds too...great picture of them...

EJ likes this.