I'm wondering if I should put my apple trees in the ground

Discussion in 'Trees, Shrubs and Roses' started by Botany_lover8, Aug 24, 2014.

1. Botany_lover8

Botany_lover8 New Seed

I have 3 apple tree seedlings and I'm wondering if I should plant them in the ground, I'm worried that if I wait they won't be able to with stand the cold when cold weather sets in, do you guys think there ready for the ground? There about 3 weeks old

[​IMG]
    3 apple seedlings from Project ( photo / image / picture from Botany_lover8's Garden )

2. Loading...

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Want some advice from hot Texas? :) I'd keep them in the pots, and when they go dormant and lose their little leaves, place them in a cool but protected spot, perhaps a cellar? Then haul them out in the spring and plant them.
    Here we plant trees in December/January so they can get established before the heat hits. In your case in Canada, I think you need to get them established before the cold hits by planting in springtime.
    (We lived in upstate NY for 25 years, so my advice isn't just based on Texas!)

4. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

I kept mine in pots for years. I did keep them in a cooler place for a few months in Winter. They were planted after spending half the Summer outside to get used it it. The last time I heard they were doing great. That was in Illinois.

5. Botany_lover8

Botany_lover8 New Seed

I had an apple tree seedling and put it outside that summer it sprouted, it's now 7 years old and doing good, I'm hoping the same will happen for these ones

6. Coppice

Coppice In Flower

Cool to cold weather is not nesisarily bad for an apple tree.

Too much (too many) of a freeze-thaw cycle can be tough on seedling apples. Do you have aa cold-room for a winters slumber?