Indoor herbs, good start, bad growth

Discussion in 'Herb Gardening' started by fish_4_all, Nov 15, 2008.

1. fish_4_all

fish_4_all In Flower

I have tried many herbs inside and have a continual problem. I can get them to start quite easily but within 4 weeks after they start they wilt and die. Basil, oregano and chives all do the same thing. I can grow Catnip without a problem into a huge bush. I really want to get my chives to grow indoors to a harvestable size. I can start them indoors and then set them outside and get them to grow but can't keep them inside and keep them alive.

Is there a trick to growing them indoors to edible size or am I just unlucky?

2. Loading...

3. EJ

EJ Allotmenteer Extraordinaire

Don't keep them to warm for a start, and don't over water them. When starting from seeds the plants need to be treated a little mean in my opinion so they grow sturdy and strong rather than long and lank. Also they need to be kept on the dry side, after all, a lot of these herbs come from hot climates where they grow in rough, well draining, gravelly soil. Plenty of natural light also so they aren't stretching out to reach it, so you would need to turn the pots from time to time. Hope that helps.