Indoor lipstick plant

Discussion in 'Houseplants' started by Kameron, Jan 16, 2016.

1. Kameron

Kameron New Seed

I recently purchased a lipstick plant from a garden store. Brought it home , looks to me as though it's been exposed to weather below 60 degrees. It's been dropping leaves since I have purchased it. It's not in flower either. I have it hanging in a western facing window, gets lots of light . Any ideas on what I can do ? I mist the plant daily as well. I would love for it to start flowering! Thanks for the help. image.jpeg

2. Loading...

3. purpleinopp

purpleinopp Young Pine Plants Contributor

The first thing I check for any hanging plant is the drain holes. Hanging type plastic pots often have a recessed drain hole that's about 1/2 inch above the bottom of the pot. That allows that much water to stay in the bottom of the pot and can harm roots.

From you pic, it looks like you might be able to add a length of chain or something to the hook your plant is hanging from so it hangs lower and is able to have more light shining right on it. During the short days of winter, many plants that don't need direct sun for summer can need some, or even quite a bit, to stay good looking over winter.

carolyn likes this.
  4. Kameron

Kameron New Seed

Thanks for the advice purpleinopp

5. purpleinopp

purpleinopp Young Pine Plants Contributor

Happy to share, general info. Hopefully someone who's familiar with that particular plant could have more specific input about it. It's not one I have.

Advertisement
  6. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Hello and welcome to the site.

I have a type of Aeschynanthus...I believe it to be Aeschynanthus radicans, but I am not entirely sure as there are many, many sorts.

I have had these plants in my home for several years. I have them hanging in eastern windows--one in the multi-media room and the other in the kitchen.

I have learned over the years what works best for my plants in this country. Other species kept in other countries may have different requirements.

To begin with I chose the eastern-facing window because the early morning sunlight is gentle and does not last too long...even in the summer. The sunlight is direct in the mourning, but after that, it is indirect.
    Next, I give this plant hardly any water at all...not even once a week. Apparently my sort do not do at all well with water. When they do get water it is just a smidgeon. I never mist my plant and I never feed it, although I know that it is recommended.

My plants bloom almost all year round, having dips in flower production upon occasion.

I will tell you that when I got the very first one, it was not in bloom. I took it home , looked it up on several websites to see how to care for it. I waited days and days for it to produce some bloom buds...the days went into weeks then months. Finally I stopped looking for buds although I did keep caring for it. One day when I was removing some yellowish leaves, I saw the first bud...then more...then within a few days the buds were everywhere. They began blooming and just kept on.

My plants do let leaves drop at least once a year. They are shedding now in fact, and at the same time they are blooming like mad.

I may never get this difficult plant figured out, but so long as it does well, I do not plan to change the way in which I treat it.

One final point remark: If you feel absolutely compelled to do SOMETHING, you could lift the plant out of the pot and check the root system. If they are circling the inside wall of their pot, you could transplant it. I re-pot mine every couple of years.

Try and be patient and just let your plant become adjusted to its new home and see what he does.
    Good luck with your plant mate. Do let us know how it goes.

Kameron likes this.
  7. Kameron

Kameron New Seed

Sjoerd, very helpful thank you !

8. Kameron

Kameron New Seed

New on my lipstick plant-

I have two flower buds forming !!! It must be happy. Pictures to come soon. Just noticed them as I was spraying down my plants !! Very exciting

Frank and 102christa like this.
  9. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Olé!!
    Great news Kameron. I have found that with this plant --
    i notice that it has a very forgiving nature. I mean to easy that one doesn't have to do things according to Hoyle to have success. I thin that I have proved that to myself.
    BTW--I have my two plants on the eastern side of the house as I said, but I did not mention that both these plants are above the central heating radiators, I guess you'd call them.

This location, one would think is absurd, but they do just fine in spite of the rising heat. Odd, eh?

At any rate, I am glad to hear that the first two buds have appeared. With any sort of luck there will be many more to come. Just try and not kill your buds and plant with kindness. --chuckle.