Infestation of flying things! Can you ID them / advise pls?

Discussion in 'Wildlife in the Garden' started by bradders33, Apr 13, 2013.

1. bradders33

bradders33 New Seed

Hi everyone!

Hope you can help!

I have an infestation of flying things in my conservatory! (I am in Milton Keynes, Bucks, UK BTW.)

My rabbit and her hutch have been on there over winter, but a couple of weeks back I noticed these flies that look a bit like mozzies.

They are not interested in my rabbit or her litter tray and I have burned citronella in there with the doors and windows all open and wafted them all out and away, but they keep coming back again a couple of days later.

I don't where they are getting in, what attracts them or what they even are!

Can anyone help please?

I have uploaded a picture.

Thank you.

x

2. Loading...

3. bradders33

bradders33 New Seed

4. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Fungas gnat...feeds on organic wet waste. Will live under hutch and in wet plants and lay their eggs there...clean under hutch careful where you put waste and i would poor bleech over it if you put it in a revine....do you use pesticides or do things naturally???

5. bradders33

bradders33 New Seed

Fungus gnat eh? Thank you so much. :)

Hutch and that area is pretty clean to be honest and they are nowhere near the hutch, they are at the other end of the conservatiory.

Could they be attracted to anything else? x

moderator's note: corrected Chatspeak see point 3.2 of usage rules

Advertisement
  6. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

I know they like to live where plant life is rotting..but wabbit poo will do....

7. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

My fungus gnats are tiny little black flies similar in size to an aphid in the flying stage. Mine don't resemble these at all, but I am guessing there is more than one type. Sometimes in the summer I do have a few "hovering" flies that make it into the house and just hover around underneath the light fixture, but they are black, not white like these. They are not into anything, just annoying in their hovering because they move too fast to swat and they won't go outside, either. I hate flies.

Are they coming in due to inclement weather? warmer in there than outside? Can you put a fan in the room to make air movement and maybe they won't hang around in there.