Insect experts, Moths in particular.

Discussion in 'Butterfly / Moth' started by krys9984, May 18, 2009.

1. krys9984

krys9984 New Seed

I was just wondering if anyone would be able to help in indentifying a moth.

I provided an image of a Moth taken from a CD's album art and I was just wondering if anyone had a clue what type / species it is.

I have tried searching the net but it is way too vast for a person unfamiliar with the subject (such as myself) to come to a conclusion.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from krys9984's Garden )

2. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Hi, Welcome to the Stew.

It looks more like a Clearwing Butterfly more than a moth form that picture. Also, where was the picture taken? There are thousands of butterflies and moths around the world that are specific to certain areas.

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I can't tell from your picture if the moth/butterfly is white or if it has clear wings. I agree with Toni - if you could give us some details of where it was found it would help us to ID it for you.

4. krys9984

krys9984 New Seed

Thank you very much for the quick replies.

The picture is actually taken from a cd's album art so there is not much information available. I tried contacting the artist responsible for all the photography but have not yet received a reply.

The reason I suspected it of being a moth is because all of the artist's available merchandise is described as "Moth T-Shirt", "Moth Sweater" etc.....

I have always been captivaved by this particular image and wanted to have it tattooed across my upper back. The only problem is that the image is in black / white thus loosing some of the finer details.

With the species identified I can then search for additional pictures and add some color / detail to the original image.

Sorry for being so vague but I am a rookie in this subject and was hoping some experts couls shed some light on this dilemma.

Advertisement
  5. krys9984

krys9984 New Seed

Here is another image which I just scanned.

The quality is not top notch but maybe it will help.

[​IMG]

6. toni

Your image looks to be a drawing instead of a picture. But check out http://www.butterfliesandmoths.org/species?l=3673 to see what you think.
    The markings on the wings are very similar but the hind wing doesn't curve in on the inner edge like in the image.

The whole website is a very interesting one to look thru and keep in mind for IDing butterflies and moths. Of course, without a species name to go by there will be some time spent checking each page they offer....which is basically how I found this moth.

7. krys9984

krys9984 New Seed

Thanks for the great link Toni,

I began searching the web under Acsala anomala and came across a website that contained images of the Noctuoid Moths of Canada which makes sence because the artist is Canadian:

http://www.biology.ualberta.ca/faciliti ... iidae1.htm

Towards the bottom of the page under the Tribe Callimorphini there are 3 particular moths that look very similar; Dodia albertae, Dodia kononenkoi, Dodia verticalis.

Visually the Dodia kononenkoi seems to be the best match. The wing shape / design is very similar as well as the body shape which is slightly smaller than the other two. What do you think?

[​IMG]

8. krys9984

krys9984 New Seed

Here is another image I came across.

[​IMG]

9. toni

They are very similar, maybe same species but cousins?
    That's the problem with artists renditions, they are sometimes not as faithful to real life as they should be. :rolleyes:

10. butterflylover

butterflylover New Seed

Yes this kinda look like a drawing it looks simple though but i like it.