Instructions for gazing balls from clear glass bubble vases

Discussion in 'Garden Junk' started by ihavegirls, Mar 24, 2009.

1. ihavegirls

ihavegirls New Seed

Hi, I'm new here and I wondered if anyone has made a gazing ball from a clear glass vase and used nail polish on the inside for color? I thought I had read that somewhere around here. If you have or if you know how can you post the intructions?

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. debjean13581
      Replies:
      Views:

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Hi, welcome to GardenStew.

I made one of those about 5 years ago and they are super simple.
    Make sure the vase or clear glass ceiling light globe, is clean and completely dry on the inside. You will need several bottles of nail polish so go for the cheap ones. You will need to do this one bottle of polish at a time. Pour one in and slowly swirl the polish around covering as much of the inner glass as you can before the polish dries to much to flow. After it has completely dried then pour in another bottle of polish on an unpainted part of the glass and swirl it around, continue with one bottle at a time until you get the inside completely covered...letting each addition dry before pouring in more.

After a few years the polish will begin peeling off from moisture in the air and ground if it is sitting on the ground. You can peel it out and re-do it. Mine has been outside for 5 years and seems to be holding it's own.

This is mine, the outside is splotchy because it was sprinkling when I took the picture. And the gold color I used is a bit faded from 5 years in the sun.
    [​IMG]
    polish painted globe ( photo / image / picture from toni's Garden )

4. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

Your globe is still very pretty after 5 years I have some globes I may give it a try.

5. ihavegirls

ihavegirls New Seed

Thank you..................

Your gold one is beautiful! I have an old cement bird bath base that I want to do one for. If I can find more of the glass I would like to do others as well! I'm off to Family Dollar to get my nail polish. Thanks again.

Advertisement
  6. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I have a bowling ball on an old birdbath pedestal. Those globes are much easier to find (and cheaper!)than bowling balls. Thanks for the great idea! :D

7. gardengater

gardengater Young Pine

That's a great idea! I'm making one too. I'd love to hear more imaginative ideas for art in the garden.

8. kuntrygal

kuntrygal Texas Rose

First of all to ... ihave girls, welcome to the stew. I know you will like it here.

You have a wonderful idea, and I too will be making one. I have done this with clear Christmas ornamants and acrilyc paint. I never thought about a larger piece of glass. Off to Lowes on Friday (to look at dishwashers...ugh) and will be looking for the glass ball. I know I could probably find one at a thrift store, but I'm ready to start asap.! :D :D :D

And thanks Toni for the instructions! :D

9. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

Kuntrygal the clear glass ceiling light globe would be easier to find at Lowes in the light fixtures.

10. kuntrygal

kuntrygal Texas Rose

Toni, wouldn't acrylic paint work just as good as nail polish? Or the 'Yard and Garden' paint since it will be outside.

11. 3dfan

3dfan New Seed