Interior Design Ideas for Gas Fireplace

Discussion in 'Interior Design' started by Jessica2250, Jan 4, 2013.

1. Jessica2250

Jessica2250 New Seed

I have a very traditionally designed living room and I am wondering if anyone has specific examples of creative ways of integrating gas fireplaces into a traditional space. Tips, tricks or pictures are all appreciated. I would like to do a full stone surround but don't know if I can afford it at the moment. These are the fireplaces I am looking at: http://www.heatnglo.com/Browse/Fireplac ... laces.aspx

2. Loading...

3. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

Hi Jessica,

Welcome to GardenStew. Yes, we do have a gas cheating unit integrated into an existing fireplace. Previously we had a gas log in the old fireplace and conversion to a heat generating system did not involve routing gas lines. The installation involved a fire box and a chimney liner with a cap at the top. An additional thermostat to regulate the fireplace was also installed. The thermostat wiring that came with the unit was 20 feet long. A limit that dictated the placement of the control. The unit also required an AC connection. The installation took about 2 to 3 hours and has been functioning for 4 years. The fireplace will function during a power outage, the AC is for the blower.
    As mentioned the gas log was replaced. It really did not produce a lot of heat(most went up the flue). The replacement was installed after a prolonged power outage in the winter of 2008, we stayed with a friend who had the same gas heating fireplace system. Even without the blower it generously heats the room. We are quite happy with it.

I built a wood mantle around the fireplace and integrated it into the two wood bookcases on either side. A curved wood valance ties the three sections together.

I will try to answer other questions. Other members may also have gas fireplaces.

Jerry

P.S Pictures will follow after I remove the holiday decorations.

Jewell likes this.
  4. Jessica2250

Jessica2250 New Seed

Jerry,

Thank you so much for you reply. I really like the idea of integrating the mantel into bookcases. Seems like a good way to avoid paying for stone but still have a unique look. Can't wait to see pictures!

5. Jerry Sullivan

Jessica, without waiting for the decorations to be removed, this is a picture of the bookcases and mantle taken during a meeting. The only portion not visible are the mantle vertical members and the fireplace. I will keep hunting for another picture as it may be Sunday before all the decorations are down.

[​IMG]
    Bookcases and mantle ( photo / image / picture from Jerry Sullivan's Garden )

Jerry

Advertisement
  6. Jerry Sullivan

Found another picture from 2006. This picture has the gas log in place with brass trim. It would be another 2 1/2 years before the gas heating system would be installed.

[​IMG]
    Bookcases, mantle, gas log ( photo / image / picture from Jerry Sullivan's Garden )

Jerry

P.S. Found another, 2009 after gas heating system was installed. It seems the only time the fireplace gets into a picture is Christmas time.

[​IMG]
    Christmas 2009 ( photo / image / picture from Jerry Sullivan's Garden )

Jewell likes this.
  7. Jessica2250

Jessica2250 New Seed

Jerry,

Thank you so much for the pictures! I really think I may go this route and try to build some pieces of it myself to save some expense. I really like the look of stone but I think my husband and I could tackle some of this carpentry ourselves and wind up with a great looking finished product. Thank you so much for the help; I look forward to becoming more involved in this community!

Jessica

8. Jerry Sullivan

I plan to disassemble the bookcases to install recessed lighting. When I originally built the bookcases they were made with disassembly as an option. Originally built about 15 years ago the lighting was unreliable. This time I will be installing more reliable warm white LED's.

Jerry