Interior designer

Discussion in 'Interior Design' started by ElisaP, Aug 30, 2006.

1. ElisaP

ElisaP New Seed

As I told on my introduction, I'm an interior designer. I graduated few months ago and I'm currently working as a full-time designer. It's always fun and educating to read these forums and take ideas from peoples inventions and questions. I've noticed this job can be extremely exhausting but also rewarding! The hardest part is the keep up with all the new innovations and materials etc. There's is too much for one person to handle.. :rolleyes:

But anyway, I'm always happy to answer to any questions you may have about interior design around here, scandinavian styles .. anything really. I'll do my best :-D

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

There's already someone here Elisa that would love some interior design advice - Sunflower. :-D I have a feeling you're going to be VERY useful to a lot of us here!!! ;) I wish you every success with your job - it certainly sounds as though it keeps you on your toes. Do you design the insides of homes or hotels and offices?

4. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Elisa, this is a question I've always wanted to ask an interior designer, particularily a Scandanavian one: what is your opinion on IKEA's presence in the interior design market?

5. Primsong

Primsong Young Pine

I would be curious about that one too. Best of luck with all your designs!

Advertisement
  6. ElisaP

ElisaP New Seed

Eileen: I'm doing mainly domestic designs but my education trained me for public spaces too. My dream would be to design a nightclub/restaurant someday :-D

About IKEA - I remember people asking me that in England too when I was working there. People do have some very differing views about the chain and I don't wonder. As a designer I can't recommend any of the furniture to my clients as a first choice. The fact is that the quality is not very good. But I do respect IKEA for being all the time up to date and sort of "trend setter" around the world. It's just a pity that the first thing that people think when said SCANDINAVIAN DESIGN is IKEA. They have some very good and beautiful everyday-use stuff, like kitchen textiles and dishes. They also have a good selection of lamps. I have nothing against IKEA, I just can't recommend it and I don't buy furniture for my own house there. Most of the times, I have to make my designs based on the clients budget so in some of the cases (like a student flat or a childrens playroom) IKEA is a good choice.

7. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

That's very true Elisa. Thanks for you honest opinions. I think I can understand where you are coming from ;) Who should we be aware of as the best Scandanavian design brands?

8. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you Elisa that one day soon you'll get the designer job of your dreams. Wouldn't it be sooooo exiting to do nightclub/restaurant from scratch!!! :D

9. ElisaP

ElisaP New Seed

There are some interesting new names around but I think it's always wise to remember and respect the old names too. Alvar Aalto, Eero Saarinen, Willem Gispen, Bruno Mathsson, Ilmari Tapiovaara.. It's a long list!

Some new brands you should keep your eye on are Woodnotes, new innovations of Artek, Nollanolla, IvanaHelsinki and their new home collection Hemma. Harri Koskinen seems to be the "hot" name of finnish design at the moment.. Interesting times in many ways!

Thank you Eileen. Let's keep our thumbs up :-D

10. Rebecca

Rebecca New Seed

design jobs in Scandinavia

Elisa,

I am an interior designer in the US, but have been looking at spending some time in Europe, specifically Scandinavia, and am wondering if there are a lot of design jobs available, and how I would go about finding information on getting a design job in that part of the world. Any advice you have would be much appreciated.

11. ElisaP

ElisaP New Seed

Hi Rebecca! There are some good jobs in that field here in Finland. I can help you search something if you like. I guess the best way is to decide what sort of company you want to approach and then ask them what they have to offer. What sort of job are you looking for? Basic interior design, furniture desing? Domestic, public spaces? Let me know if you need more help.