Introducing Toby

Discussion in 'Pets' started by Gardengirl, Jul 16, 2009.

1. Gardengirl

Gardengirl Young Pine

Thought you might like to see a photo of the new addition to our family. He is 10 weeks old and we have named him Toby. Having lost our two cats recently we bought him as a companion for our Flatcoated Retriever, Busby.
    Busby is a bit wary of him at the moment as Toby spits at him when he comes near him, which is natural. Luckily we have our large dog cage which we keep Toby in for most of the time with his little bed, food and litter tray, which keeps them apart for most of the time until they get used to one another. It has been years since have had kittens and dogs together so any advice would be appreciated.

[​IMG]
    Toby ( photo / image / picture from Gardengirl's Garden )

2. Loading...

3. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    What a cute baby. Looks just like my Buddy must of as a kitten. :-D

4. cuatro-gatos

cuatro-gatos In Flower

Awww what a cutie little Toby is. My husband and I have a soft spot for orange tabbys. Sorry I do not have any secrets for getting dogs and cats to get along, but I think it will work out of for them.

5. gardengater

gardengater Young Pine

Such a sweet face and blue eyes. I think proximity will get them used to each other eventually. Good luck.

Advertisement
  6. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

What an adorable little kitten you have there Gardengirl and what a superb photograph of him. :-D

Here are a some tips that I used to give to clients who were trying to get dogs and cats used to each other.

Get an old towel or blanket and let Busby play with it, lie on it and generally spread his scent all over it. If he's not interested in it then rub it all over him. Now place it inside Toby's 'room' and let him play, roll, chew and generally get used to it for 24 hours. Now give the blanket back to Busby for the next 24 hours. This should ensure that they are well used to each others scents. To make doubly sure repeat this process this time with a soft toy that Busby favours.

Now it's time to let them meet for the first time.

Firstly, remember that cats can't be controlled, especially as kittens, so it's the dog that must be under your constant supervision when introducing them to each other. Hold Toby in your hands and ask Busby to come towards you. Make sure you have some doggy treats on hand should any trouble start as they will distract Busby away from the situation. Labradors/Retreivers are more interested in food, as a general rule, than they are in new members of their family.
    Don't let the first meeting last for more than a few minutes and if all goes well then praise both pets profusely. Each day let their meeting be slightly longer and when you feel confident enough allow Toby to walk free of you and be approached by Busby or vice versa.
    It could still take many weeks, if not months, before both animals are relaxed enough to tolerate each others company so endless patience is needed. Hopefully though, because Toby is so young, it won't take too long for them to become friends. Thankfully Busby has been used to cats in the past which should make the whole process easier for all concerned.

Let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.

GOOD LUCK!!! :-D

7. Gardengirl

Gardengirl Young Pine

Thanks so much Eileen. Some good advice there. I will try it out and let you know how I get on. As you say, Busby may get used to Toby quickly, having had cat companions. He is getting a little quieter now, also Toby not spitting as much when Busby comes close. I am sure they will be the best of friends given time, it's early days yet :)

8. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Ginger cats are adorable, especially kittens. Toby sure makes a nice addition :D

9. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

He's very handsome. I love the look of orange kitty cats. I hope the adjustment process continues as predicted -- they'll be friends soon enough. That looks like a fancy little bed for a new kitty! Very soft and luxurious!

10. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Toby is sooo cute!!

11. Canadian Chelsea

Canadian Chelsea In Flower

Hello, Toby! :stew2:

What a little sweetie he is.......awwww.....

12. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

I just looked at Toby again... I wish I could pick him up and snuggle him right up!

13. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

Awww he is a cute little guy :-D When I brought Stratton home for the first time we kept telling Briggs she was his baby, his baby sister. He loved her but he just loves cats. He is so soft hearted. It took no time at all and they were inseparable. Now she chases him around the back yard. He's afraid of her :rolleyes: She definitely rules the roost but I think that's just a cat thing ;)

14. Gardengirl

Gardengirl Young Pine

Thank you all for the nice comments on Toby and Stratsmom, good to hear that Stratton & Briggs get on so well, hope for Busby & Toby I am sure :)

15. DCgirl06

DCgirl06 New Seed

So adorable!

16. TheBip

TheBip Young Pine

Hes so cute I could just squeeze him and cuddle him and love him to pieces! *lol*

I just adore tabbies (I love other cats too but tabbies have my heart ;)), and my very first kitty was an orange tabby :)