Iowa has gone from Drought to flooding

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by koszta kid, Mar 11, 2013.

1. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

This past week got 8 inches of snow-then high temps Friday of 40's Then 2 1/2 of rain.Water filled fields and ditches. Creek in back of us Went out.But no school buses on gravel roads. Had to put Jeep on 4x4.

2. Loading...

3. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Yikes all in such a short space of time. Hope you are staying high and dry. We had rain all day yesterday with temps to help the snow melt also.
    I was in the barn for several hours trying to make a few drainage trenches to get the water from creeping any further into the barn. It had crept up to the feed room door and was being sucked up by the wood sidewalls that sits on a cement slab. :eek:
    We have got to get the drainage area in front of the barn redone so the water stays outside. ;)

4. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I sure hope this helps ease the drought many in the midwest have been experiencing. I am so glad ours appears to be over. I just hope it continues.

5. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

We have heavy rain in the forecast for tonight and a special weather statement has been released ... potential flooding. Thankfully our house is on a hill, but our sump pump will be running steady.

Advertisement
  6. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

Lot farmers had to hurry to move cattle.Guy said he put waders on --mud kept sucking rubber boots off.But Guy who had electric fence-1/2 way across Iowa River.Anyone boating and get line rapped around $$$$ boat prop. Will be knocking on his door.Said will be few more days before school buses can go on gravel roads.

7. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

koszta, Hope you can stay out of the mud and avoid getting stuck!
    It has been so very dry here, I was surprised to encounter mud last week, and now with another 8 inches, I'm sure I'll be seeing more mud.
    I hope you do not have floods, hopefully the ground will soak up this moisture.

8. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

Seen some people with finish basements .Pulling up carpet.Put that is in city.We got lot of crop land around us that was very thirsty. But nice to see Sun. And colder temps slow things down.Last year at this time in 80's in a week