Irish stew recipe

Discussion in 'Recipes and Cooking' started by Frank, Jan 26, 2005.

1. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Irish stew is one of my favourite recipes. Irish Stew provides a perfect complement to cold winter weather i.e. a nice warm, nutritious dish smile It is very easy to make as well and does not require any fancy ingredients.

My Irish stew recipe is as follows:

Ingredients:
    - 1kg/2lbs of shoulder of lamb
    - 1kg/2lbs of potatoes
    - 4 large onions
    - 6 large carrots, peeled and quartered
    - 2 medium leeks, sliced down the length, cut into 1/2 inch slices
    - 1 tablespoon of garlic chives
    - 1 tablespoon of parsley and thyme
    - 400ml/1pt cold water
    - Salt
    - Pepper

Remove fat from meat and cut into bite-size chunks. I like to quickly brown the meat at a high temperature, making sure to brown all sides. Slice two of your potatoes into thin slices. Slice skinned onions into thin slices also. Place sliced potatoes at base of greased saucepan and place a layer of the meat on top of these. Sprinkle meat with salt and pepper. Then add a layer of the other vegetables onto the layer of meat. Repeat the layers finishing off with the herbs.

Add the water, bring to boil and simmer for one hour approx. It is very important to cook the Irish stew in simmering water not boiling water as the meat will toughen otherwise. After the hour add the potatoes and continue simmering until the potatoes are cooked, should take about 20 mins.

Serve in a large dish and garnish with parsley. Also provide white soda bread to mop up the juices.

Yummie :p

2. Loading...

3. looking

looking Seedling

Irish Stew

Thanks for this recipe. I love Irish Stew too. (I've been looking for a genuine I.S. recipe)
    Do you sometimes put Guiness in it? Is it normal to do that?
    The reason I ask is that the Irish pubs here in Aust tend to lace it with Guiness, which is not bad, just wondered if that's normal over there?

Thanks
    Craig

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Don't put guiness in it Craig but I have put ale in it now and again. Might try guiness sometime if I can filch a bottle from Ian!!