Iris's CAN'T do that!

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Tooty2shoes, Jul 2, 2013.

1. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Well do not tell my Iris's that they can't change color all on their own. I have been documenting a dwarf dark lavender Iris since 2006 that has been changing to a light creamy beige yellow.
    I had even contacted Schreiner's Iris's to see what they would have to say as to why it is doing the color change. They said that Iris's do not do that.
    Well don't tell this one it isn't possible. The blossoms start out as bi-colored as you can see from the first pic. Then the following year they turn the creamy color.
    One master gardener I talked to said that maybe they where reverting back to their original stock color. I have no clue. But I sure am enjoying watching the neat color show. I just wish they would stay bi-colored.

[​IMG]
    Bi-colored Iris 2013. ( photo / image / picture from Tooty2shoes's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Color transformation complete.2013 ( photo / image / picture from Tooty2shoes's Garden )
    This year I had five blossoms the light color and just the one Bi-colored. Next year should be interesting to see what happens. :stew1:

2. Loading...

3. donna in nc

donna in nc In Flower

beautiful just beautiful mother nature knows what she is doing

4. Tina

Tina Young Pine

WOW!! Spectacular!!

5. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

What a winning combination!!! :p

Advertisement
  6. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Thanks everyone. Yes that mother nature sure has some surprises up her sleeve. :stew1:

7. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Wow Tooty! Very unusual! Thanks so much for showing this to us.
    I just googled "Iris changing color" and you are right, all the "experts" say this cannot happen! Only one source suggested two possibilities: do you know if your iris could have set seed? Maybe the baby iris do not breed true to color.
    Second possibility (& the one I'd put my money on) is that some iris will throw a 'sport', an offset that is a different color than the parent plant. ???? What do you think? (I bet if Jerry S saw this thread, he could come up with an experiment to do that would help us figure it out.)

8. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Cayuga I found the same answers as to why it could not do that. But I wonder about the second you listed. Could very well be the reason. I do not keep them from going to seed so it could be. But to come out Bi-colored the first year and then change over to the lighter color still is a mystery to me. :stew1:

9. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Toots--I have had some daylilies bloom their first year a paler version of their final color. Of course that is different than a bicolor....I agree it is a mystery!

10. thepondlady

thepondlady In Flower

Iris can Do that! It is a gene goof up.
    There is a discussion on Face boos Iris lovers about this very thing.

11. oubee

oubee In Flower

The prettiest ones I've ever seen!

12. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

I have had irises change color from one year to the next. A lot of old timers around here claim they do that. I just thought that I had so many irises that I was forgetful of what colors they are.

My one rose of sharon bush seems to change colors too. Some years it is LAVENDER, and others it is PINK. This year that bush is PINK. I need to get a new picture, and compare it with old pictures of it. I just thought my eyes were goofy or something. Maybe my bush is goofy. ;)

13. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Yes all our plants can do amazing things. Often very beautiful things.

TPL- I did check out the group at facebook and joined. Now I can see what they think about the bi-color iris blossoms.

AA-I know some of the color change in other flowers can come from minerals in the soil. But it sure is fun to see. :stew1:

14. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

Hydrangeas change color with soil acidity or akalinity, so why not other bushes or plants ? They even sell stuff to make them pink or blue.

15. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Yes so true. So why not. Funny that Schreiners Iris said that an Iris can not do what mine are doing. Go figure. ;)

16. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

I have always had iris and I always cut the stems off after they bloom, just to have them look nicer and I have not seen it happen like you have. I have had lilys do that when I had sandy soil at the last house we lived at...

Enjoy the beautiful change, I hope you really like the new color.