irregular house plants??

Discussion in 'Houseplants' started by MWELLS, Jan 2, 2007.

1. MWELLS

MWELLS New Seed

I was recently at a friends and they had a walking Iris that was thriving indoors... I love that thing so awesome. Anyone with any thoughts on other plants that they have or have seen thriving as a houseplant that are not the regular?? Thanks and happy new year!!

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Clay_22
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Droopy
      Replies:
      Views:

3. Primsong

Primsong Young Pine

We had a friend with a small persimmon tree in a large pot indoors - it was doing just fine too. None of mine are all that interesting (though I am plantsitting my mom's rosemary that is trimmed up like a topiary in a pot).

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I have an avacado tree that I grow indoors. I started it from seed and it's doing really well!!!
    :D

5. bailey

bailey Seedling

I have a sweet potato vine growing in a vase of water on top of my kitchen cabinets.It's been up there for about a year and a half.It is huge now.It looks great with my collection of old antique plates, Samuel installed lights up there to highlight the plates and with the vine growing around up there it looks awesome!

Advertisement
  6. bethie

bethie Young Pine

Sometimes I grow carrot tops in the kitchen windowsill for some greenery to look at in winter. Someone always asks-"What are you going to do with that?" :rolleyes:

7. MsPackard

MsPackard New Seed

I grow aloe in the house and other succulents also. My sister has the pointy cactus in her home but I prefer the smooth more plant-looking ones. They are wonderful and so easy to take care of. :smt041

8. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

I have a huge spider plant which is residing is the dining room, putting on a ton of new growth. It goes outside in the summer time. In the front window, I have Kalenchoe, tuberous begonia and a heather plant. The heather plant is getting a bigger pot sometime today. When it is warm they will all go outside. When we lived in Wisconsin we had a date palm in the dining room. It got to be about four foot tall. The boys planted it from a seed around Christmas time. It took it almost 6 months before it showed a tip above ground. I was about ready to toss it. Good thing I let it go a little longer. We couldn't bring it with us when we moved to Arizona. I gave it away so I don't know if it is still growing. Dooley

9. Jungle Joy

Jungle Joy New Seed

Prickley Pear...

A prickely pear cactus - at least I think it is a prickely pear cactus - my girlfriend bought a bunch to put by her front walkway two summers ago, but hey got vadalized. Poor little babies.I adopted one and it lives in a pot in my kitchen window in the winter, and out on my front porch in the summer. Its a weird little plant that keeps growing and thriving. If I can find a nice showy outside I will plant it out now that it is bigger. It is suppose to be hardy to zone 4! How cool is that a cactus living in a snow zone!

10. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

If it does there what it does here you'll wish it died.It takes over big time here and if it gets cut into a thousand pieces each piece will make another plant.