is it too hot to plant bulbs?

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Melissa1982, Sep 5, 2007.

1. Melissa1982

Melissa1982 Seedling

I got 2 iris bulbs the other day and planted them, but now I wonder if it was too hot to plant them? It was 110-113 for several days, and it's just now 'cooling off'and will cool down over the week to the upper 80's. Should I have waited and kept them in the fridge for a while? I hope they'll be ok, it's only 2, but still, I'll be sad if they're going to die. So many plants died for us already...
    And if it is too hot right now, what are good temperatures to plant bulbs in?

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. 2ofus
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. marlingardener
      Replies:
      Views:

3. cajunbelle

cajunbelle Daylily Diva

Most irises can be planted during September, but those temps are a bit extreme, as has been the norm all over lately. Irises do not require prechilling that I know of, what type of irises are they. They should be ok if you keep them watered and don't let the roots dry out.

4. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

I think I planted mine in October, but iris's are tough. I never water mine except when they bloom and they stay green. Right now they need divided but I'll do that sometime in October, too. Then, they will be ready to bloom in the spring. I'll water them more then. It gets pretty warm here too. They should be okay if you keep them from drying out too much. They should grow some before fall anyway. dooley

5. Melissa1982

Melissa1982 Seedling

Thanks for the replies, sorry it takes me a while to get back on here.

I think I got 2 bearded irises. One was blue and yellow and I can't remember what the other was. Well, hopefully they'll survive and I'll get to see in spring!