Is Mozilla the best browser???

Discussion in 'Computer and Internet' started by juan_jins, Dec 11, 2007.

1. juan_jins

juan_jins New Seed

Hi guys,
    Can anyone tell me what is the main deference between IE and Mozilla Firefox ? I have been using IE (version 6.0) for one year but from now on I have decided to use Firefox. I just want to know as to what Mozilla can do which Internet Explorer can not.
    Thanks!

2. Loading...

3. SusieQ

SusieQ Seedling

update to newer IE7 it is much better than 6, tried Firefox twice now, incase I missed something, not impressed each time, have np with IE7

4. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Hi juan_jins. Here are a few differences:

Note: Microsoft have recently released IE7 but as I haven't installed it yet I can't give you my personal opinion on it. I will talk only about IE6 here. And also I refer only to browsers on the Windows operating system.

Security:
    The most important difference between Firefox and IE is security. Firefox is by far the safer browser because it is much less prone to be hijacked or exploited by spammers.

The reason why IE is more open to spammer exploits and phishing schemes is that it is the most widely used (rough guess about 70% of all internet users). It is therefore more profitable for spammers to target IE.

Performance:
    Of the two I would have to say that Firefox is the faster and less-memory intensive browser. Although of late Firefox has been becoming a bit bloated/inefficient leading to excessive memory usage on machines it is still better than IE.

Features:
    Firefox wins hands-down again. The best feature of Firefox has to be the large range of extensions you can install into the browser to customise it to your needs. An example of an extension would be for example a 'weather forecast extension' that would display the current weather in your area at the bottom of the browser.
    IE7 has started to introduce extensions I believe but IE6 does not have this feature (apart from items like toolbars)

Firefox also has features like in-line spell checking and of course tabbed navigation (no more switching between windows on the taskbar).

------------------

Overall I would have to say Firefox is still the best browser out there but it's not perfect by any means. However IE is definitely not the second best browser. That honour in my opinion goes to the little used but fantastic browser Opera. It even gives Firefox a run for its money.

Hope this helps.

5. bethie

bethie Young Pine

Of course once we all switch to Firefox the spammers will be right behind us. :-D

Advertisement
  6. SusieQ

SusieQ Seedling

As I said before IE7 is great all bugs of IE6 gone, it's fast, and has phishing filter, NP's for me with it, was not impressed with firefox at all uninstalled it ....

7. Biita

Biita Arctic-ally Challenged Forager

We have firefox, an i love the extensions. We never have any problems at all with it. However we do have Opera as a backup on here, an it is very easy to navigate but i've only used it a few times when firefox for some reason or another was down, or running really crappy. But that don't happen that often.

I never use IE, i did at one time but my computer became a mess because of all the spammers, an virus that leaked thru, not to mention all the popups that even the blockers that were compatable with IE didn't work that well... so i will never use IE as long as there is something else out there. I hope it has gotten better than it was, but i honestly don't know, i'm happy with firefox.

8. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I think that Frank has covered it really well here, not much to add technically.
    I agree that Firefox is a faster and more fluid browser than IE; however, having a website myself, I notice that there are problems in Firefox with the text that I use on my website.Specifically, what I mean is that If I look at the text in IE it looks just the way it should, but in some of the text areas the text runs into images or into more text that is situated underneith.
    Actually this is the only problem that I have with Firefox. It's just an irritation to me and requires me to maks peciuliar adjustments so that text can be seen properly in Firefox.
    I suppoose that in the end the bottom line is, as always, a personal choice.

9. MrBrownThumb

MrBrownThumb New Seed

Frank covered it but I have to chime in. By the time IE load for me I'm already on the web with FF and have visited the site I wanted to see.

The extensions for FF are simply fantastic and don't know why I ever resisted the urge to switch.

10. bsewnsew

bsewnsew Hardy Maple

foxfire

I had it, and took it off.....It has a lack luster email system which annoyed me...It is only as fast as your server allows......

Why have 2 explorers/

b

11. stacy131

stacy131 New Seed

Mozilla is safer and has less spam. Internet Explorer is more compatible with things like Flash, Adobe, etc. I prefer Mozilla.

12. bsewnsew

bsewnsew Hardy Maple

moz

Thanks .

I think most of my problems are the slow Internet server ..
    b

13. marcusa007

marcusa007 New Seed

Firefox blows IE out of the water by a long shot. It does not matter if you have the new IE7 version. The IE uses way to much resource and is way behind the functionality of Firefox. I must say the first test run I did for the Firefox I stopped using it and half a year later I tried it again and truly gave it a try and fell in love with it. Firefox has awesome plug ins that IE7 is totally missing. I customize my browser to my tasks. also I can have masses of tabs going and never miss a beat (and leave those open for days or even weeks). I challenge you to do that wit IE7. Security, speed user friendliness ... never mind their are just tooooooo many reasons to choose FireFox over IE7