Is my Crepe Mrytle dead? Do I reprune it?

Discussion in 'Trees, Shrubs and Roses' started by r4thomas, Jun 28, 2009.

1. r4thomas

r4thomas New Seed

Ok, I live in Orlando Florida. I have had my home and three crepe myrtle trees (all pretty small only about 8 or 10 feet high and not real long branches)since I built the home in 2001.

Each year, I prune the trees back and they bush out quite nicely and then bloom lovely bright pink blooms. I have one in the front, one on the side, and one in the back. Last year the one on the side never did fill out very well and although it bloomed it was never quite right (sort of peaked as my grandmother used to say). This year all began sprouting leaves about the same time. The one in the back never kept going though. The new growth was sparse and then just shriveled up and died. The other two are grown in nicely and blooming. The one in the back is nothing but sticks. Nothing green anymore. So, is it dead? Do I try to reprune or just dig it up or what? Very sad to see it go. It always added such nice color. sigh.

moderator's note: added a more descriptive title to topic

2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I would guess that something has killed that tree, digging it up and starting over is probably the way to go.

I read somewhere recently that cutting them back every year weakens them, making them more susceptible to diseases. I have two really large ones out between the sidewalk and the street and other than trimming off low limbs over the sidewalk or street they are left to grow as they will. Both are over 20 feet tall and wide and loaded with blooms every summer.

4. StillPinkie

StillPinkie New Seed

Does the leave or bark have what looks like light gray powder on it? The nursey I worked at lost all thier crepes do to powdery mildew.

5. Miwrld

Miwrld New Seed

I have one that's about 30 yrs old. My dad would prune it all the way back every year. This past year I pruned it only halfway. It spreader out bigger than ever
    I prune it after each bloom is done, it blooms right back even more vibrant.
    Next door is one that gets no attention..it's tall and full. My guess is it depends on how big you want it to be....