Is my Zucchini plant healthy! PLEASE HELP

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by container.gardening, Aug 6, 2018.

1. container.gardening

container.gardening New Seed

My zucchini plant that I started from seed is now a month and a half old. Some of the leaves are becoming brown and crusty around the edges and one has white on the top. The older ones seem to be yellowing. Why??? It has been producing male flowers for over 10 days but still no female flowers. Is there a problem? Thanks

Attached Files:

Sjoerd likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. Odif

Odif Young Pine

Courgettes and cucumbers are heavy feeders the light green color may mean you need feed them a bit. The white spots are powdery mildew. Courgettes and cucumbers are susceptible to this. These plants often lose their older leaves and they can be plucked or cut off at the base once they die back too much. These plants really like water but not on their leaves. It is normal that the male flowers come first. I would give the plants a few inches of compost and keep them well watered and see if they grow well.

Sjoerd and hummerbum like this.
  4. mart

mart Strong Ash

Can`t tell how big the container is but these plants need quite a bit of room. Zuchinni can get 4 to 5 feet across when fully mature ! I agree they need food and as was said you can remove the leaves with the white spots and brown edges. Put them in the trash not on the ground ! Don`t worry about those male flowers being first,, the female flowers will be along shortly ! I usually let the soil stay damp for mine,, not soaking wet ! Your plants are just getting started ! That powdery mildew will affect the leaves but usually does not hurt the fruit !

Sjoerd and hummerbum like this.
  5. hummerbum

hummerbum Young Pine

I so agree with @mart and @Odif. Take it from me, @container.gardening. I planted the zucs in the right places (so I thought), but then silly me, I planted too close to it..it has all but swallowed one and threatening others. The feeding is also correct. In my planting holes , went kitchen scrapes, so while the plant grew its roots in the ground, the scrapes composted to feed the plant when ready and I still give them a light dose of worm tea and veggie food, especially since they have been producing like crazy!

Sjoerd likes this.