Is stained glass work in fashion?

Discussion in 'Interior Design' started by naqkashi, Jun 19, 2007.

1. naqkashi

naqkashi New Seed

Stained glass work gives a rich and royal feel to the doors and windows. moreover they also render an aesthetic appeal to the interiors.
    Are new inventions and new ideas fading out the use of stained glass works?
    If done neatly and properly....they look very very beautiful.
    What do u think?

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I don't think that stained glass work will ever really go out of fashion Naqkashi. There are so many modern designs now that would fit in to any home or office environment. It's something I would love to be able to have here in my village.

4. bethie

bethie Young Pine

Actually stained glass is alive and thriving. With new glass colors and textures popping up all the time it's and exciting time for glass enthusiasts.

5. Chitweed

Chitweed In Flower

I can never keep enough stained glass lamps and other pieces in stock in my business. People love it. It is the color combinations, textures, and brilliant ideas of new artisits pushing the edge in design that keep it new. It's the hardwork & traditional craftsmanship displayed in each, that keep people always wanting more.

Advertisement
  6. rushme

rushme New Seed

yes stain glass is in trend till date, i will say designers are exploring the possibilities of its use. its not only restricted to doors and windows... you can use in partitions and in false ceilings too and there are many more options. lighting fixture looks great with stain glass. will try to post you some of the pictures of false ceiling and partitions.

7. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I love stained glass! I don't think it can ever go out of style!

8. bsewnsew

bsewnsew Hardy Maple

Stained glass deco

I did see some wonderful designs using stained glass in the kitchen ..ON HGTV
    The lady had a long window above the sink , and had the top part in stained glass in a flower type design and it was gorgous. Sort of came down in the center ......It gave more privacy and no need for a curtain there.
    Go for it if you like.

9. StevePM

StevePM New Seed

A couple years ago, I had a fabulous stained glass window and door side window in our entry done by a retired gentlemen. It looks really fabulous. He designed the piece himself and it's very modern looking. It has mostly clear patterned and cut glass with only a few dark colored pieces. Stained glass can be as antique or as modern as you like.

We constantly get comments one our stained glass and have even had people stop by just to comment on how much they like it.

10. bsewnsew

bsewnsew Hardy Maple

Sounds great

Could you show us a photo?????

What happens when the wood wears out?????Rots.

11. StevePM

StevePM New Seed

I'll try to get a picture tomorrow morning -- can't get a good picture at night.

12. bsewnsew

bsewnsew Hardy Maple

I will watch

ok........

Some are gorgous.. Saw a lady have her top half of the kitchen window done in cut glass....It was nice.

b

13. StevePM

StevePM New Seed

Long story, but here's a bad picture. Good camera is missing in action, old camera's battery is dead, kid's camera needs repairs....sigh. This one is from my cell phone.

[​IMG]

You can see the overall effect, but what you can't see (because of the bad photography) is that the clear glass is made up of several different types of patterned glass.

We've really enjoyed having this window (and a smaller side window by the door -- same colors and glass patterns, but different design).

14. bsewnsew

bsewnsew Hardy Maple

Makes sense.....

Then the entire window is pieces sort of like a quilt?
    Can you see thru the clear glass parts?
    Certainly beats the same ole ones we see daily.

Very good...

It is fun to be Unique.

15. StevePM

StevePM New Seed

Thanks!

All of the pieces of glass are individually cut then pieced together with leading and solder. Light comes through the clear pieces, but you can't really see through them because of the glass patterns.

Another note on a question above -- we didn't replace the regular window behind the stained glass. The stained glass was just placed against the regular window and fixed in place using wood trim stained to match the window trim. If we ever have our windows replaced, we'll just pull the stained glass down and put it up when they're done. It's up about 13' from the floor in our two story entry, so it isn't easy, but it's possible. I used scaffolding to put it up as it is very heavy.

16. bsewnsew

bsewnsew Hardy Maple

Great

Thanks for the info,

:-D

Sounds great if your able to take it in and out.
    I didnt know the regular window was still there.
    Now is it on the inside of it, or outside of the regular window?

i did see a little bit of piece soldering done at craft shows........Expensive for sure.
    Now I learned something new.. I just like knowing things..
    Thanks ...

b