Is there a mushroomer here to name this yellow mushroom?

Discussion in 'Plant ID' started by Freckles, Nov 3, 2011.

1. Freckles

Freckles Seedling

It is here in Florida. Three just popped up after two days of heavy rain. I have never seen them here before. Pale yellow with a greenish cast. Has gills. About 3" tall.

[​IMG]

Thank you.

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I'm no expert but it looks similar to the Common Puffballs we get here. However I hope someone else, with more knowledge, can ID it properly for you.

4. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I looked through my mushroom book and could find nothing similar to this one. the ring on the stem doesn't match up with anything in the book. Sorry. but I'll keep looking.

I checked another book and maybe it is an Amanita . "In the button stage they can be mistaken for the puffball". With the ring on the stem, I would be not leaning towards a puffball. Do Not eat this mushroom. most of the pictures of Amanitas have a skull and crossbones picture. The closest I think it looks like is the amanita muscaria. var. formosa

5. Freckles

Freckles Seedling

Thank you both. I did check out your suggestion Carolyn, but it didn't seem to be exactly that mushroom. There are so many variables when it comes to identifying mushrooms. Here is another view of the inside.
    And I'm not sure of any mushroom as to edibleness, so I just admire them.

[​IMG]

Advertisement
  6. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I agree with the thought of not knowing enough about them to eat them, there are some that are so similar you could kill yourself accidentally. :eek: oops. Not so good for you or your family. I see quite a few different ones around, but I still have no desire to "try" them, not even the puffball.

FBGuy thought he was harvesting chanterelles recently and ended up with jack o lanterns. he wasn't feeling so well for a while. :smt009 I am not so brave. if they don't come from the store, I don't eat them.

7. Henry Johnson

Henry Johnson In Flower

Definitely agree with the policy, 'Don't eat it unless it came from a can/jar, or served to you in a restaurant.'
    Hank

8. Freckles

Freckles Seedling

Lol, I promise I won't eat them. Never crossed my mind. Just wanted to know what kind it is. :D

9. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

I worked at Monterey Mushroom plant for 10 years.Never saw one of those.They raised SHiittaki,Portabellas, whitesCriminis and Oyster grays and yellows.

10. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

I know nothing about mushrooms. I just love this one. It's beautiful.

I have no knowledge of them so they scare me. I buy them at the store because they (the store) can't kill me, like I could.:rolleyes:

Barb in Pa.

11. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Freckles I just did a web search and came up with what kind of mushroom it is. They said that it usually with come up very unexpectedly. Especially in potted plants.

It's name is Leucocoprinus birnbaumii and you do not want to eat it. It is a really neat looking mushroom though. ;)

Freckles likes this.
  12. Freckles

Freckles Seedling

Thank you Tooty2shoes. Leucocoprinus birnbaumii, what a name. And it did come up unexpectedly. Never saw one before. But there were 3 in the same area. Of course, now they are gone. So nice of you to do further research. I looked at the pictures for this name, and it definately seems to be that mushroom. Thanks again. Good to put a face to a name! :D

13. mart

mart Strong Ash

Those come up everywhere here in Texas. They are commonly called toadstools here. Don`t know why though,, look more like a frog umbrella to me when they open.

Freckles likes this.