Is this a Shamrock, an Oxalis, or a Oxalis Shamrock?

Discussion in 'Plant ID' started by Freckles, Oct 29, 2011.

1. Freckles

Freckles Seedling

I've seen all three names on this plant, and can't correctly ID it.

[​IMG]

The leaves are 3 each of course. But not flat on one end like I have seen on similar plants, they are more heart shaped on the outer edge. Also, they are green on both sides of leaf, no purple, unless they change at different times of the year. They grow all throughout my grass. And the leaves do close up at night.

I call it Shamrock, but not sure the correct name.

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. olga
      Replies:
      Views:

3. lukeypukey

lukeypukey In Flower

im not sure. really like the picture though :)

Freckles likes this.
  4. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Oxalis is quite frequently referred to as shamrocks. So technically you have Oxalis, but it is called both.

Freckles likes this.
  5. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

I agree with Carolyn. I've always called them Shamrocks... and as a youngster even called them clover. Around here... some consider them a weed. I've rescued a few of them from the fields so they won't get mowed down.
    Your's are very pretty!

Freckles likes this.

Advertisement
  6. Freckles

Freckles Seedling

Thank you for your information Carolyn and Sheryl for confirming it can be called both. I've always called it a Shamrock, but the more research I did, I became more confused, lol. So I'll just continue calling it a Shamrock, I like that name best.

And thank you Lukey for your nice comment on my picture. You had the best reply.

7. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Oxalis is also referred to as False-Shamrock since it is in a different plant family from the Shamrock. Oxalis is a Genus in the same family as Wood-Sorrel. Shamrock is a white clover and in the pea family.

There are a few other three leafed plants that also have the common name of Shamrock. So the confusion continues ;)

Freckles likes this.
  8. Freckles

Freckles Seedling

:-D So I am back to where I was. I guess I'll just call it a Shamrock until I'm told different, lol.

What you said Tony is the same information I found on the internet. :setc_039:

9. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I have never heard of white clover being called shamrock or false shamrock. We have plenty of clover and pea crops growing around here, but they are never referred to as shamrock or oxalis. Only the wood sorrel is known as oxalis and it has a small yellow flower. Nothing as pretty as what yours are Freckles.

Freckles likes this.
  10. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

White clover isn't the one I referred to as False-Shamrock, the Oxalis is. Oxalis is the Genus of the wood-sorrel species Oxalis acetosella

The word Shamrock is a derivation of the Celtic word for Clover and is said to refer to....

Scientific Name: Trifolium dubium
    Irish Name: Seamar bhuí
    Family Group: Fabaceae

One link I found connects it to white clover and another one to yellow clover. Go figure :rolleyes:

I never heard which clover was called Shamrock but I grew up calling Clover by the name Shamrock.
    And the first time I bought an Oxalis plant it was labeled as False Shamrock.

11. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

That does make it sound confusing.

12. Freckles

Freckles Seedling

I love the ungoing discussion. I did research on Oxalis Acetosella, and the pictures seem to match my plant.

13. kathyd

kathyd In Flower

Very pretty picture. I love the delicate blossoms.

Freckles likes this.
  14. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Freckles, I have a pot of mixed Oxalis or shamrocks or WHATEVERRR. I love them. They live in the greenhouse year round. I just love them. I will go out there and see if they are resting or growing and take some pics. I have had them in the same pot for about 15 years. I suspect it's time to repot them. I don't know how many different kinds there are in there.

Barb in Pa.

Freckles likes this.
  15. Freckles

Freckles Seedling

Hi Barb, I've had them in the grass in the yard, in a pot outside, but my most favorite spot was a little pot that just overflowed with leaves and flowers in the house. Then one day it just withered. It was so beautiful. I have to research the best soil and find another patch from the yard and pot it. Thank you for your comment. Do you have any pictures of yours, and your greenhouse? I'm hoping in the future to have a greenhouse. My son plans to build one for me. BTW, I'm originally from PA long time ago. Beautiful state.

16. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Freckles, I am going out to take pictures of my Oxalis later my hubby is home this weekend and talking up all of my time. You know how that goes.

The last time I looked I think I had at least 3 kinds in the pot and I am not sure about the colors of the flowers.

Here is my greenhouse. It's 12X26 feet all glass. We keep the heat up to 65 all Winter.

[​IMG]

Greenhouse ( photo / image / picture from waretrop's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Greenhouse ( photo / image / picture from waretrop's Garden )

I love all this stuff. We don't have as many plants as we did at the time of this picture. We neglected it over the years. It's up and running well now.

Barb in Pa.