Is this mold on my plants?

Discussion in 'Houseplants' started by crystalblueatmosphere, Jan 10, 2010.

1. crystalblueatmosphere

crystalblueatmosphere New Seed

I have 6 pots of herb seedlings: basil, rosemary, thyme, oregano, cilantro, and parsley. They are just starting to sprout through the soil. I keep them in a sunny window sill and moist but not soaking, I water when the soil gets visibly dry. I noticed some tiny white spots on the soil yesterday when I went to move them away from the window at night. I've had plants get moldy soil from too much water in the past but this doesn't look the same. There are only about 5 at the most of these tiny specks in each pot.
    My question is, do you think that it's mold and just hasn't spread yet or is there another explanation?

moderator's note: added a more descriptive title to topic

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. SadSunday
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Saproxylic
      Replies:
      Views:

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

They could be salt build up, houseplants get it more than outdoor potted plants.
    Soluble salts are minerals in water and if a plant is overwatered the salt will build up causing the roots to be unable to take up water.

Proper drainage and not letting the pots sit in water will help curb the salt build up.

Watering when the soil gets visibly dry usually means overwatering. The top of the soil will dry out quicker from evaporation than the soil further down, so stick your finger into the soil to see how far down the dryness extends.
    You could use a mister to water the top of the soil lightly to prevent overwatering too.

4. crystalblueatmosphere

Mold? Thanks for the advice

I figured I might be overwatering, but I have never heard of the salt problem, thank you for letting me know. I have now started using a mister bottle like you suggested.

5. crystalblueatmosphere

Mold? Just an update

Just wanted to let you know that your suggestion worked really well, there's no sign of white spots anymore and the sprouts are looking healthy. Thanks so much!