Is this powdery mildew or what is it? Cherry Tomato

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by elcoloan, May 16, 2020.

1. elcoloan

elcoloan New Seed

2 month old tomato cherry, in a 600 ml pot with substrate (vermiculite, peat, ewc, perlite, soil). Hope someone can put my mind to peace regarding its simptoms.

It grows under an LED (3500k) and I have only recently given a bit of CalMag supplement, so most of the yellow and brown blotches on leaves that started appearing on lower leaves since the plant was young, I've been thinking were a deficiency on that end.
    I also forget to water her many times so the curled down leaves i was asumming were from this.
    The stem/stalk showed root bumbs early on and I imagine it's because of the small pot, and the appearing bumps progressed uppward but today I noticed that the things in the upper part of the stem/stalk don't look like bumps... more like skin thats about to peel off.
    What is it? PM? Leaves have no usual signs of PM (white or grey).

Sorry for the long description.. here are some pics:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any input is appreciated.

Last edited: May 16, 2020
    Sjoerd and S-H like this.
  2. Loading...

3. mart

mart Strong Ash

What is your location ? I do not see anything that good sunlight would not fix ! Tomato stems will get bumps and other things as they grow !

elcoloan and S-H like this.
  4. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

Try applying a little soap water on it with a cotton swab - That's what I do to fight mealybugs, they instantly turn a pinkish orange color as soon as soap water touches them. Causing their instant death.

Plant is not harmed in any way by this.

elcoloan likes this.
  5. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Can you plant this tomato outside soon?

I've seen those little bumps on many a tomato. ? Tomatoes will grow roots from their stems if buried. Don't know what they are except that they occur regularly.

elcoloan and S-H like this.

Advertisement
  6. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

I just got an idea! :setf_052:

Why not apply a little bit of petroleum jelly over this area? It's it's some early sign of sprouting new roots - Then the plant won't be harmed. But if it's a pest, then it will suffocate, (without harming the plant).

elcoloan likes this.
  7. elcoloan

elcoloan New Seed

HI! THANKS ALL FOR THE REPLIES! Sorry for taking so much time to come back.

The plant is still alive... I transplanted her to a 12L fabric pot, got some foliar beneficial microbes to use as prevention and most of those bumps did turnout to be roots. Only need to spray the microbes 1 time a month and it keeps a nice green stalk always.

For those asking... I'm in a very humid, rainy and cold place close to the equator. I have a few tomatoes outside in a small balcony and PM hits them really hard as well as whitefly and miners... i have to be on them constantly checking and spraying with the microbes and baking soda. They only get about an hour or two of direct sunlight if any. That's why i'm trying things indoor with my spare LED.

I gotta say, though... the indoor plant's tomatoes take more time to turn red than the ones outside. Still gotta tweak some things.
    I owe you all pics.

Again thanks for the replies!

8. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Oh, sorry that I did not see your posting back when you needed comments.

Were all the little things on the fotos bumps, or were there some aphids?

I know that the bumps will produce roots becauseof the way I plant my toms.
    Glad to hear that your plants are still alive. Did you able to eat from those plants?