Is this soil mix okay for all my needs?

Discussion in 'Organic Gardening' started by fish_4_all, Apr 14, 2010.

1. fish_4_all

fish_4_all In Flower

I bought a lot of compost mixed with aged manure form Home Depot. I need to do a lot of container filling as a lot of you know and I need to know, well learn, a lot more about soils, compost and manure.

I just really need to know if it is gonna work to use this mix for everything. Flowers, herbs, tomatoes, peppers, lots of different veggies and gourds. It seems really light and also appears to hold a lot of moisture. I don't plan to add anything else to it except for bone meal and some slow release fertilizer. Any additional fertilizing will be as needed, likely liquid ferts and compost tea.

Any help would be appreciated. I admit I am totaly uneducated when it comes to "the right soil" when it comes to planting anything. Mainly I want to keep from burning the roots and killing my plants after I have spent so much time getting them ready to be transplanted.

2. Loading...

3. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

I am sure someone should be able to help you on here. I admit I always buy either Pro/Mix soil in the bag or Miracle Gro with the crystals for moisture. I do know that some plants need more acid than others..Plus I have always heard to mix your soil with the compost and other amendments.You could give this mixture a try by putting some plants in it and see how it goes...Good Luck and I hope you find the correct answer soon. Maybe if you check to see what is in the bag soil it would give you an idea of what you need...I do know that by the end of summer my soil in containers seems to dry out easily.