Isabella is healing now..

Discussion in 'Pets' started by Sherry8, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

September 9, 2017 028 (2).jpg Isabella hurt her leg jumping off of the neighbors lap when he was sitting in a lawn chair at our house. 1300 dollars later she is healing and the doctor is quite happy with how things are progressing. The biggest problem is going to be keeping her from running and jumping for 3 months. Right now she has a cone on her head and I was happy we had kept Miss Shadows large kennel for Isabella to use while recovering. We keep it right in the living room. The cat Miss Birdie and Maggie are quite concerned about Isabella and sit and look at her quite a bit.
    ....Her surgery was called Luxating Patella surgery and then they had to make a deeper groove in her knee so the knee cap would stay in place. Tendons were cut and moved around because they were not keeping the knee where it should be. I was told this surgery is quite common in little dogs...

September 9, 2017 033 (2).jpg

Jerry Sullivan and Philip Nulty like this.
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Sherry8
      Replies:
      Views:

3. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Poor Isabella. Unlucky way to get an injury like that. Hope she heals faster than expected.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  4. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

Luxating patella is a big deal in chihuahuas..very common. I'm so grateful my two haven't had the problem, but I'm very familiar with it from my chihuahua forum and fellow chi owners. It's an expensive surgery! And oftentimes it's needed twice, for both back knees, adding to the expense!

Best wishes for Miss Isabella's healing! :heart:

Philip Nulty likes this.
  5. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

So easily caused,..poor pet,..its great that you have the large cage and that its in the sitting room so Isabella can see what everyone is doing,..plus Miss Birdie and Maggie can communicate :).

Here's hoping its a quick recovery and she will be out and about,..carefully,..wow to the vets bill,..i just had two big ones in the past two months:rolleyes:

Advertisement
  6. mart

mart Strong Ash

Wow ! Thats tough. Just picked one of mine up today after having surgery to remove bladder stones. Mine was cheap compared to yours, Our vet is very reasonable.
    Hope she does well. She doesn`t look like a happy camper right now.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  7. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

Poor baby! She looks so sad. I feel bad for you, also. One for the $ amount for the surgery, and for the job ahead of you to try to keep her from injuring herself. 3 months is a loooong time!

Philip Nulty likes this.
  8. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Mart you are lucky to have a vet that doesn't clean out your pockets,..i hope your pet recovers and all is well in a short time.

9. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Hope Isabella heals quickly. Kennels do make life easier when dealing with reluctant patients. Our dogs are always fed in their kennels and sometimes even like finding theirs for quiet time.

My Amber is the most expensive rescue dog ever. She had both knees done right after I got her (one at a time, so as to be less likely to injure them). What a challenge trying to keep them quiet. Good luck.

This summer Amber had to have orthodontic work done for the second time. We do love our fur babies and are just happy we can take good care of them.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  10. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Hi Jewell,..gosh Amber has had it tough as well,..not forgetting your pockets,..i know its very costly and i look at the cost as being to help and keep healthy my pets,..i have sure wasted money in the past on far less satisfying causes,..makes one feel good when its to help the pets.

Jewell likes this.
  11. mart

mart Strong Ash

Thanks Phillip ! Yes she is doing well and is back to normal. I can`t imagine how the vets in metro areas can charge the prices they do. One pet peeve I have with the city vets is doing totally unnecessary tests. Our vet recently retired but the one that bought his practice is just as good. Of course the old vet is also our neighbor. He is just a good common sense country vet. He knows I know what I am doing and usually lets me buy the supplies I need and I take care of the problem with the dogs & horses. New vet does too.
    Saves me a ton of money since we have 6 horses plus Jims 2 and the 4 big dogs,,2 are ours and 2 are the Jims Then there is Sugar and Missy the 2 that are inside most of the time. All of these dogs were found where they had been dumped as puppies except one and even it was adopted from a rescue ! We found homes for the rest of the litter.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  12. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Gosh Mart you have a huge amount of four legged creatures to look after,..though i bet you wouldn't have it any other way,..its in your system,..its very hard to understand why people dump pets,..the mind boggles,..i guess things sort of balance out nature wise when there are good folk who take in abandoned pets.

To rescue a dog from the rescue center here it costs £100,..i know it helps them survive as most operate on donations but more dogs animals would be adopted by people who couldn't afford the £100.

Just a visit to my vet will cost £30,..thereafter i think the fee is from a number in a hat,..within 11 days this was mine £140,..£100,..£53,..£30,..£30,..this was for replacing stitches and bandages plus one lot of tablets,..at least the outcome was a healthy dog,..that was a relief.