It Feels So Good

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Sjoerd, Mar 21, 2021.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

It was right back out to the lottie again today. When we went, there was cold wind, I initially thought it was going to be a cursory look-about, feeding of the birds and then back home. Ach, but you know how it is— one is overloaded with the will to begin, and sometimes reason must take a back seat. You know that if you work a little, then you will warm up.

The Bride suggested that we just clean off the bed where the next planting would take place in a few days. Right then, we raked back the mulch layer, hoed the few weeds that had held on under the layer of dead plant debris. We sort of stood back and looked at that lovely soil. The next step was to min-till the quarter.
    8E0E8AB4-12FA-4784-ADA3-E25DFAACBFAA.jpeg

A closer look then.
    42F59751-46D3-4354-BD86-120AB91C86B3.jpeg

I took the foto’s too late, for there were oodles of earthworms of all sizes stretching themselves over the clods. Some were still half in their burrows. I tell you, I felt like a real worm charmer. I left most of them, but for worms that could stretch to the length of my hand were gathered-up. and deposited in the compost bins. Oh, if only I had taken the time to photograph this amazing scene.

We were taking a little pause and complimenting ourselves lavishly when the Bride popped-up and floated, what I would think about planting a row of spinach. You know, just a row. I pointed out that according to Bartjes, one can better plant on a sunny day. Yes, she knew all that, but what could one row hurt. She supported her argument by pointing out that we had some old seeds in the shed and if they come up fine; and if not, well then we would simply replant them with the new seeds when they come in. Being a natural-born rule breaker, I began taking the tools out.

She was so anxious that she already had the rake in her hand before I could span the twine. Once in place, she began raking under the twine. This unbridled will-to-plant led to us both forgetting to use our speciality tool for making the soil very fine. She just flipped the rake around and began making a drill with the handle. This enthusiasm was not to be denied.
    1E19FF30-6D0F-4BB0-AED1-D9783F6512A5.jpeg

You are probably wondering what kind of fool you are dealing with here. A bloke that doesn’t even know what day it is. Well, my Bride always says that I live in the past, so perhaps I am not out of character...out of order maybe, but not out of character.
    You know I am declaring that I have the widespread disease known as Pensionados’ Time Ignorance. That’s my story, and I’m sticking to it.
    500E5405-48FE-49F0-AA8D-3A60339B2D5E.jpeg

So then, seeds in, twine removed, and finally a sprinkling of vermiculite.
    That went so well that I used the claw rake and made the soil fine over the rest of the bed. The next thing to go in was the Swiss chard.
    EC7D49CF-64F4-4E27-BDE6-2E72BE62EC4D.jpeg

The rest of this plot will receive broad-beans and beetroot with two courgette plants at the end of the rows next to the canal. That will, then be the first quartier planted, but that will be some time yet even though the broadies are hardening-off well on the balcony. The beetroots and courgettes will require much more heat than 5 degs C.

Looking back at how the day went, I would have to say that it feels so good to have the first section done, in spite of the chaotic work method.

Odif, S-H, eileen and 1 other person like this.
  2. mart

mart Strong Ash

Just follow your brides instruction Sjoerd ! You know womens intuition is usually right !

Sjoerd likes this.
  3. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Yeah, she’s got skills; however, I feel compelled to say that impatience is not the same intuition. (Looking over my shoulder to be sure of my safety).

4. Odif

Odif Young Pine

Beautiful black gold there.

Sjoerd likes this.

Advertisement
  5. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Thanks so much Odif. A lot of work has gone into that soil.

Odif likes this.
  6. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

How exciting! The most fun work in the garden each year is the first work in the garden!

Odif and Sjoerd like this.
  7. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

You should have been a philosopher, Netty.
    I agree wholeheartedly.