It started with taking down a willow tree...

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by Sherry8, Oct 23, 2016.

1. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

The property had a huge willow tree and an ash in the front by the road...right where we are thinking of putting a driveway in when we build. The ash is hidden behind the willow in the picture. We decided we would have them taken down this fall instead of in the spring so we hired Marv Tree Service. October 22, 2016 133.jpg

My husband is standing next to the stump...it was 15 1/2 feet in diameter and about 50 feet tall. I was fortunate and was asked if I would like to go up in the lift bucket...of course how could I say no! Here I am getting up to get in the lift bucket... October 22, 2016 129.jpg

October 22, 2016 130.jpg

and below me was my husband...who doesn't like heights...Hello down there!
    October 22, 2016 063.jpg
    Here I am, with Marv...
    October 22, 2016 124.jpg

Here is some of our property...we will tear down the cottage in the spring and we plan on building our home there...:)

October 22, 2016 066.jpg

Last edited: Oct 23, 2016
    Frank and Philip Nulty like this.
  2. Loading...

3. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

That is a huge willow tree Sherry8. I too will not get in the bucket and if I do I'll be hanging on real tight to the bucket ... maybe with my eyes closed too!!! :)

Can that trunk be used as lumber?

Philip Nulty likes this.
  4. mart

mart Strong Ash

Do you have any idea how many beautiful table tops that would make ? As well as other furniture ?
    A lot of money there. Ash is typically used for baseball bats I think.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  5. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Wow,..that was a very broad based tree,..its always amazing to see the rings of a tree and the beauty of the hidden wood,..better to have the trees removed before building commenced.

Brave of you to go up in the bucket,..many people would refuse the offer and boy it looks like you are way up there :like:,..your property looks better every time i see it at a different angle.

Advertisement
  6. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

Thank you everyone...we are slowly getting the dirt pile down...I mowed the lawn yesterday while my husband did the hard labor. Once we get the dirt pile down if it hasn't snowed here or gotten too cold we will order the stone to make the water front higher. This has to be a not too large stone so we can lift it seeing we are doing all of it by hand. We are trying hard not to cover the natural shoreline, just making it higher so the water doesn't come up. With the rain we have had if we let a truck drive on the grass again, it makes deep ruts and very hard to walk on. I had to leave one portion of the lawn when I was cutting because of when the dirt truck came on the property.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  7. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

I know I would NOT have gone up in the bucket so I take my hat off to you for doing it! Did you have the tree cutters haul the tree's away for you? A lumber yard probably would probably pay for the birch. When we bought this house we had to have 4 huge golden willows removed, all close to 4 feet or more across. We also had to have 3 beautiful fir trees removed as they were diseased. What a mess!

Philip Nulty likes this.
  8. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

I would not have gone up in the bucket myself. I do not do heights well at all. At the Grand Canyon, I stood well back from the edge and behind the fences. I did go up to the top of the Empire State building and the Sears Tower but didn't get too close to the windows there either. It does take a lot of courage to do heights and I'm not one of those people. What is the water you are building next to? dooley

Philip Nulty likes this.