Italian potato salad

Discussion in 'Recipes and Cooking' started by marlingardener, May 30, 2018.

1. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

We recently harvested our potatoes, and I use small whole ones to make this salad. It's a nice change from the usual mayonnaise, celery, chopped egg potato salad.

This is a "amount is up to you" recipe.

New potatoes, boiled in their skins and drained
    coarsely chopped red onion
    chopped herbs (I prefer oregano and parsley, but sometimes throw in a bit of basil)
    extra-virgin olive oil
    mild vinegar (apple cider vinegar is good)
    sea salt
    freshly ground pepper

As the potatoes are cooling a bit, combine the herbs, oil, vinegar, and salt and pepper. Whisk until emulsified, add onions to the potatoes, and pour the dressing over. Chill about 1/2 hour before serving, or chill and set the bowl out of the refrigerator about an hour before serving.

If you want to gild the lily, add some cherry tomatoes just before serving.

(I know telling you to drain the potatoes is unnecessary, but I gave this recipe sans draining instruction to a lady. She complained that the oil didn't mix with the water and the whole thing tasted blah. )

2. Loading...

3. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

This sounds delicious! Soon as I get back from weekend away, I'm going to try it!

:eek:

Wow. There are some cooking things that are SO basic that it would just never occur to me to mention. Draining the potatoes is one of them. That's like including in a recipe that you need to take the meat out of the package before you cook it, or open the can and put its contents in a pot before you reheat or mix it in. I mean, really!!!!!

4. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Jane... some people are just so clueless! I don't know how they can actually adult... * the act of being an adult. they actually have children, drive cars, go to the bank and borrow money, have checking accounts etc.... and can't figure out to actually drain the water off the potatoes. :eek:. was she even a bit embarrassed at not knowing to drain off the water?

waretrop likes this.
  5. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Carolyn, she wasn't embarrassed--it was all my fault for giving her a bad recipe. Of course, this was the same neighbor that I gave fresh, just picked green beans to and she complained because she "boiled them for three hours and they never got soft." Really, soft? I left her to enjoying Del Monte and Green Giant after that.

carolyn and waretrop like this.

Advertisement
  6. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

oh my oh my! Words just escape me....:setc_033::setc_033::setc_033:she sounds like a quick smile and wave buh bye ... gotta run. "chickens need wormed. see ya!"

marlingardener likes this.
  7. mart

mart Strong Ash

After three hours they would have been green mush,, not green beans ! Good baby food though !