It's Spring! What's Happening?

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by jnnwyman, Apr 15, 2006.

1. jnnwyman

jnnwyman Seedling

Yipppeee, it's spring! What's happening in your gardens??? Are you trying anything new this season?

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. 2ofus
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Sjoerd
      Replies:
      Views:

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Yes I'm going to try one last time to grow wisteria and if it doesn't work this time I'm going to go for some new clematis instead.
    The garden arch I bought last week is going up this week, hopefully, and then in go the wisteria - wish me luck as it's about the only plant I've had trouble growing but I'm stubborn and I'll resort to almost anything to make 'em grow for me. ;)

4. Pinkiered

Pinkiered The Rose Queen

IM putting up new fencing around my vines because they are growing so fast now. Its a work in progress! HAA!

My vines
    Wisteria (mine is growing fine!)
    Honeysuckle
    Passion vine
    Blue Morning Glory
    Red Morning Glory

I have to get a tiller. But is it too late to get the rest of my seeds in the ground?

5. iris

iris New Seed

Eileen, if you want to grow wisteria, you should live in South Carolina. It grows everywhere whether you plant it or not! We have some woods lining the backside of our property, and they are so covered in purple flowers that you can't even tell there are trees underneath. As far as my garden this year, I'm planting parsley, basil, thyme, cilantro, lavendar, and chives (all of which have already sprouted). My son is growing sunflowers which have just started to come up.

Advertisement
  6. jubabe296

jubabe296 Official Garden Fairy

Good luck with your wisteria Eileen, I hope it does good for you this time!! I'm trying to grow bleeding hearts this year. I have a fernleaf one and a vine that I just bought. Has anyone you else grown these before? If they do good I will buy more. I have alot of shade so I plan on finding more shade plants this year also

7. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

I had bleeding heart bushes in Wisconsin but it's too hot and dry here. I really like them, too. I'm going to plant Hosta's under the mulberry tree where the daffodils are now. Actually I'm leaving the daffodils around the edge and filling in the middle space with the Hosta's. DR ordered some mixed plants from a catalog. I hope the grow. Ones I ordered last year didn't come up. Dooley

8. Primsong

Primsong Young Pine

I love bleeding-hearts, I was just looking at them at the nursery trying to think of where I could put some. My springtime treats are a new variegated azalea, and a gorgeous porcelain vine. I'm putting peach-colored "peach flambe" coralbells at its feet along with some chocolate-chip bugles for groundcover. It's all so pretty together! The coralbells are gorgeous - the leaves are a lovely clear peach, like gentle fall color all year.

Last spring I was still trying to reclaim the yard from previous neglect, but I did put in some native plants for this NW area, trumpet vines and sword ferns. There's an odd trellis made of pipe here and it had the dead remains of clematis on it - I cleared the clematis and put the trumpet vines in their place, hoping that as a native it might not need so much tending. The vines look great but the ferns are struggling - I may have put them too close in to the doug firs and I think they're too dry.