Jade and similar succulents

Discussion in 'Houseplants' started by Primsong, Sep 21, 2006.

1. Primsong

Primsong Young Pine

A friend of mine was helping someone move and one casualty of the move was a portion of a large old jade plant that broke off. She gathered up the pieces and brought several to me (much to my delight) so I am starting them.

I have heard that you should leave them out of the soil until they begin to wither a bit, then plant them. The last time I started one I didn't do this and it is fine - anyone know if there really is any benefit in letting a piece of jade or similar succulent wither before planting?

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

4. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Prim first of all hope you had a great time in Hawaii!

Next I couldn't find anything about leaving the plant to wither before planting but I'd like to throw one more link into the mix:
    http://www.thegardenhelper.com/jade.html

5. Primsong

Primsong Young Pine

Aha - this part of that article:
    The cutting should then be left in a warm, dry place until a callous developes over the cut. This usually takes anywhere from 1-2 weeks, depending on the thickness of the stem. - must be what was being referred to. Leaving it until a callous develops makes more sense than leaving it until it begins to shrivel up - that I can do.

And thanks! It's nice to be back home, but gracious I have so much catching up to do. Hawaii is lovely, and very, very warm and the plants are huge! Let's all take a field trip there sometime. ;-)

Advertisement
  6. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

Did you get some pictures for us to see Prim .If so when do we get to enjoy Hawaii with you?

7. EJ

EJ Allotmenteer Extraordinaire

Ooo Prim, I think we should hold our Gardenstew Annual General Meeting in Hawaii! If I first it, anyone want to second it? :)

My jade plants are funny critters and they will only grow if I do nothing! If I try to take a cutting, they rot and die, but if a bit snaps of and falls to the compost, in no time it is growing away! I have always wanted to grow one more like a tree - a standard - but have no idea how to do it....I should have a play really. Welcome home!

8. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

I SECOND THAT!! :-D :-D
    I don't think I've ever tried a jade plant but one of my old gardening books said to let your geranium cuttings "scab over". I wonder if this is to keep them from rotting :rolleyes: I don't seem to have much luck with succulents. Southern Belle sent me a cute little baby aloe vera, I think he's on his way out :(
    Prim, welcome home...Aloha. (you lucky girl)
    Deanna
    :-D