Jane's Petunias

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by TumbaoDev, Aug 27, 2015.

1. TumbaoDev

TumbaoDev New Seed

A good friend's mother recently passed away; it was sudden, so part of the funeral was finding good homes for all of this lovely woman's houseplants.

I'm not much for flowers, but I took a petunia because I loved that lady & she didn't grow peppers or herbs.

Novice flower caretaker that I am, I'm trying to remove any old blossoms, water a couple times a week, and I set them up in a sunny spot they seem to love.

My question is about trellising. There are a LOT of long stems in that pot (two types of petunias as well - large white flowers, and smaller pink/green tipped ones). It is SUPER windy out here, and everything is all tangled up. Are petunias something you should trellis? I feel like that would make it a lot easier to do the maintenance as well.

Any petunia tips, send em my way!

2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Petunias are trailing....as in over the side of a pot or sprawling along the ground. They are annuals north of Zone 9 so if you want to keep them growing be sure to bring them inside before the first frost. Unless you are living in the deep south where winter looses it's way, takes a wrong turn and never shows up.

Some types do not have to be deadheaded, the old blooms will fall off on their own. I think from the coloring you mention that the smaller one may be what's called a Supertunia, a hybrid and it doesn't require deadheading.

TumbaoDev likes this.
  4. TumbaoDev

TumbaoDev New Seed

IMG_1085.JPG

The other thing I wondered was whether that bright green stalk at the bottom in the picture is a weed.

Thank you for your help! I will detangle and let them trail :)

5. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

I always trim my petunias so they don't get too long....and I always buy the type that has to be deadheaded, its a great relaxing time doing it for both of us here. I like the pink ones especially...sorry for the loss of your friend's Mother. My condolences.