Jerry Baker's Garden Tonic's

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Tooty2shoes, Jun 21, 2011.

1. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Hi all: has anyone besides me tried any of Jerry's tonic's for their garden? I would be interested in knowing if so, do they work? :stew2:

hummerbum likes this.
  2. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I had watched a few of his gardening programs on PBS a few years ago, but never bought his products.
    There are so many organic gardeners online now who have recipes for whatever ails your plants that it is really easy to put your own together and cheaper too.

Tooty2shoes likes this.
  3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

I second Toni's opinion. Jerry Baker has always seemed a bit too much the salesman and too little the gardener to me.

Tooty2shoes likes this.
  4. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I go to the library to see what is in his books. Some of the advice is actually very practical, if old fashioned. Things such as home made fertilizers. Kevin thought I was going to kill everything last year when I whipped up a batch for the garden. It had things such as beer, ammonia, murphy's oil soap, molasses... the good result was that I didn't kill anything., I had all the ingredients on hand. The bad news... It's much more expensive than buying commercial fertilizer, but for me, because I am allergic to the urea they use for the nitrogen in the fertilizer, I can live with the expense. and I do agree... he is a little hokey! :smt101 okay... a lot hokey!!!

Advertisement
  5. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Carolyn: I have stuff to do some of Jerry's recipes. But I forget to use the stuff. Duh! :setf_022:

6. hummerbum

hummerbum Young Pine

Yes they do work...i am a HUGEEEEE fan of his, but haven't used his tonics since moving back into an apt. I used his tonics for everything that i possibly could when I had to start from scratch, literally, growing a lawn on 2 acres and almost went crazy last year, when I couldn't find his books that I have. I admit i did look a bit crazy using lemon dish soap, coca cola, ammonia, instant tea, etc for one tonic, but I tell you they really work. Most I used to kill dandelions but now i eat dandelion greens sooooooo now I wouldn't probably use it....lol. He has amazing tonics for dollar weeds/ weeds period and yes, they work. His tonics for plant food is awesome. There are sooooo many great tips and tricks that he suggests and most is already at your house...What I like most is that he explains why and how each ingredient works to achieve the goal. After a while, you find yourself repeating those very same explanations to other people...lol.

Tooty2shoes likes this.
  7. mart

mart Strong Ash

Who is this guy? Never heard of him !

8. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Mart, he used to have a gardening/home program on PBS around here but that was back in the 1970s I think. I don't think the program was local but it depended on what your local PBS stations bought.
    He didn't plant so much as teach about organic treatments for garden pests and diseases. Also, recipes for home cleaning products.

9. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

One of my Vloggers are huge fans, and I now use the tomoto tonic. Seems to work well.

Tooty2shoes likes this.
  10. hummerbum

hummerbum Young Pine

Yes...just look at his youtube videos if he has them on there. You will be hooked!!