Just Be Aware

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Jewell, Jun 19, 2019.

1. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    I know most everyone at the Stew are very environmentally aware of the dangers of many garden products, but for some this might be news.

https://www.npr.org/2019/05/13/7230...to-couple-in-roundup-weed-killer-cancer-trial

On my last trip I was surprised to see herbicides being used extensively by individuals without a bit of protection. Unfortunately I lost a cat years ago because of what I believe was my negligence in the use of Roundup. Haven’t used it since.

Last year because of a family health crisis we adopted a non processed foods diet (Keto). The movie THE MAGIC PILL made us aware of a different possibility. The following news about grains helped us make the decision.
    https://www.weedkillercrisis.com/topics/list-of-foods-containing-glyphosate/

It’s a crazy world we live in. After a year of being on a ketogenic diet we are all healthier have lost weight, gained muscle. My hubby is off his high blood pressure medicine and no longer has to monitor his blood sugar levels. My adult son is at his best weight ever and looks fantastic. All of this without exercise, just changing what we eat. Not a life style change for most but definitely has worked for us. Like I said it’s a crazy world we live in.:p

Cayuga Morning and eileen like this.
  2. Dirtmechanic

Dirtmechanic Young Pine

I am sorry about your cat. My father worked his way back out of type 2 diabetes in part using a keto diet.

I have seen a lot of penalties like this court case you mention in the news. Here, they court awards 1,000 million to each person as punitive damage and 55 million as some follow up. This is for a chemical that impacts chloropyll. Chloropyll is not in people, yet we thrive when we eat it. I have yet to hear someone who is not screaming explain how the cancer is caused. I have read that 2ncd and 3rd generation offspring have bad issues. But lymph systems filter the environment. tonsils, armpits, groin are last points of filtration by the lymph system as I understand. What about shampoo, deodorant with aluminum or the multitude of other things we absorb? Even my copper water pipes concern me, as a drop in pH by the city, and the low pH water would dissolve copper for me to ingest.

Cayuga Morning, Jewell and eileen like this.
  3. Jewell

The cat, Rocky, dying from poisoning of some type, opened up some questions for me. I am right there with you on more and more questions and no answers.

The human body is a marvelous organism that can heal itself if we let it as with our family’s diet change. I have also witnessed multiple spontaneous healings of some pretty extreme conditions, but that is a whole other story. With a lot of questions.

Many conventional medicine practitioners often don’t want to hear about curing long term chronic conditions. (My hubby never told his doctor about being off his heart meds... he just monitored his blood pressure. I have talked with others who have had the same experiences. It is too outside many doctor’s paradigm that someone could heal themselves.) When I go in for my yearly checkup health practitioners are genuinely shocked that I am not on any meds or supplements. That to me is weird.

The GMO question is another big one since the actual testing done by independent researchers showed significant affects on animals when extending the feeding of said products to young animals.

Although information can be overwhelming when stumbling across contradictory studies, I just find it interesting. I have come to trust myself and honor “my gut feelings” for my personal choices. That is what everyone inevitably does. It’s an information age and it sparks my little brain cells.

Cayuga Morning and eileen like this.
  4. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

I just googled the Keto diet, cutting out carbs and fruits is bad and taking supplements that don't get absorbed by the body.

It says that it's difficult to stick to and i can see why.
    Eating a lot of fat is bad for the arteries unless you eat a lot of fruit and vegetables and you exercise a lot.
    I've been on a lot of diets and some are dangerous in long term.

I now use a high fiber diet cutting out sugar and lowering eating fats,meat and dairy products, that works and it reduces the risk leading to diabetes 2 and heart disease.:)

We have to eat organic but it's too expensive.
    :)
    But it's your choice and i wish you all, all the best with it.:)

Jewell likes this.

Advertisement
  5. Dirtmechanic

Dirtmechanic Young Pine

Eat what you can catch. It works out as you age. These days veggies are easy prey for me.

6. Jewell

I totally understand your disbelief about Keto. Ken Berry MD has good information on YouTube, also DietDoctor, Dr. OZ, . How we eat is really very similar to how my grandparents ate before fast and prepackaged foods that are heavily processed with an abundance of chemicals and the heavy use of grains. Food was always what was in season and meat that was home grown.

I personally have more energy, more muscle mass and less fat. Seeing my body change over this last year is wonderful since I am 68 years and feeling like I am in my 30’s.:smt041 Never thought that was possible.

DM, I love your saying. It really resonates with :like:

Logan and Dirtmechanic like this.
  7. Dirtmechanic

Dirtmechanic Young Pine

Thanks. Not my original idea. It is a pretty old saying.

Jewell and Logan like this.
  8. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

I'm pleased for you :)but it was originally called the Atkins diet and he died of a heart attack because he was on it.
    I've been on a lot of diets in my time from the age of 11. I find the Fplan diet is the best for me. I'm 62 and feel that i have a lot of energy.

This thing about insecticides on grain has been around a long time.

I've been trying to avoid products with palm oil in, it's very difficult. It's destroying the rain forests to plant it.:(

Jewell likes this.
  9. Jewell

Love that you are sharing. New opinions and information is always a joy for me.

Had to look up the differences between the diets since I had never heard about their similarities. The biggest differences I see is between fat vs. protein consumption and sustainability/continuation of ketosis.
    https://perfectketo.com/ketogenic-diet-vs-atkins-diet-ketosis-better-atkins/

I am glad you have found the best diet for you and congratulate you on excellent health through the years. That is no small achievement in today’s world. Making conscious choices and keeping informed to the best of our ability is all we can do. Keep on keeping on. :like:

Logan and marlingardener like this.
  10. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

I have become aware of how much sugar is now added to almost everything in the food stores. Or at least everything packaged: salad dressings, breads, ketchup (a lot!), soups etc.
    I am also aware that every kind of store around now carries candy, cookies, sweets of one kind or another: dry cleaners, pharmacies, hardware stores, 5 & 10 cent stores, sewing stores, etc. It is pretty incredible.

11. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

Thanks and that's great, I didn't look into it much. I know eating more protein helps to burn more calories, but fats are different. I think with the Atkins diet he didn't eat enough veg.

It's difficult when i can't eat the chocolate and biscuits that i like but find eating more fruit helps me.I know fruit has sugar in but a different sort and it's slower getting absorbed into the bloodstream.

But I'm glad that you found a diet that you can stick to.

Jewell likes this.
  12. Jewell

You are right about sugar or sucrose in almost all prepackaged foods. I went camping with a friend and her granddaughters. Seeing what people typically eat was surprising. Didn’t realize how much my food preferences had changed.

The interesting thing about sugar, for me, it is really addictive. For the first time in years I am not always hungry. (Unfortunately for me the carbs in grains break down quickly into sugars.) The unsettling fact is that they are saying Alzheimer’s is Type 3 diabetes and like type 2 diabetes is preventable. Diet appeared to have reversed my husband’s Type 2. Unfortunately most doctors don’t know much about nutrition and people are seldom willing to make life style changes anyway.

Logan likes this.
  13. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

My friend Keith has type 2 diabetes and he manages it with his food he's turned it around by changing his eating habits. He says that drinking green tea helps, but I'm not sure about that.

Jewell likes this.
  14. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

I am just this side of type 2 diabetes & have managed to avoid the diagnosis for 5 years. I am slim and have always been so. I eat low carb and no sweets. My 2 brothers both have type 2, one is slim, the other "portly". We think it must be genetic? Our parents didn't have it though. ???? Strange, huh?

15. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

That's great, my oldest brother has it but the rest of us haven't. It could come from further down the line. As far as i know my other brother hasn't but he's a vegetarian.

Jewell and Cayuga Morning like this.