Just For Us

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Sjoerd, Sep 16, 2021.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

It was just the cutest thing...

This morning we had to arise early to begin our Food Bank run. First a koppie tea and then the ablutions, we sped out to McD’s for sausage and egg muffins and milk. Once we had gobbled that down we proceeded to the allotment and picked up our veg, took a wagon and walked by all the lotties to see if anyone had any donations.

I came by the guy that had given loads of purple grape bunches. He had promised more this week, so I took him at his word. While waiting for him to emerge, I walked over to the neighbouring garden, where I saw a yellow courgette resting on top of their hedge ( people do this for us if they cannot be present on the pick-up day).

When I returned, the man was there and warmly invited me onto his allotment. We proceeded to the back, I plopped-on my mask and we went into his big greenhouse. One whole wall was filled with grape vines loaded down with an uncountable amount of grape bunches. He had already begun harvesting for me before I arrived.

We were chatting as he carefully clipped the bunches off with his sècateurs and gently handed them to me. I was impressed with the care he took. At that moment, I saw a lady appear with her husband. She was trying to get my attention in an animated way. We exchanged hand signals and silently mouthed words.

She finally came back to us and asked if I had found the courgette lying on the hedge, and I told her I had. She further told us that they had some donations for us to take to the Food Bank. I of course thanked her profusely.

Then she said in a hushed voice that she had more jams and chutneys to donate and that she had one jar of her homemade jam for us. She went on;
    before I could decline, to say that when she had asked my Bride last week if we had tried her jam ourselves that the Bride told her in no uncertain terms that we never took things from the donations for ourselves. What was she thinking! ....well, anyhow, she said that the goodies for the Food Bank were back up on my wagon, but with a huge smile, she produced this jar of jam—-
    880EB721-2F20-4049-995D-213B80C41B2E.jpeg

...which she said was just for us, it was not a donation...just separately given ... just for us to try. Chuckle. She was so cute about this, that I accepted. It was just so adorable how she so carefully offered this pot and took such enormous care to make it clear that it was given apart, just for us. Heh, heh. So sweet.

p.s. I had some of that jam for lunch when we got home...and it WAS good, no—it was delicious. Strawberry, blueberry, and banana.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2021
  2. mart

mart Strong Ash

Oh My,, you were so lucky to get it !

Growingpains, Logan and Sjoerd like this.
  3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Sometimes hard work and generosity pays off in--jam! She was most likely as pleased to give the jar as you were to receive it.

4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

You are too right Mart. I feel very lucky.

Jane, you are also quite right. I could see the pride in her work she had in her eyes. You know, immediately after lunch i wrote her with complements and thanks. I really appreciated her gesture.

Advertisement
  5. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

Sjoerd that was very nice of her and she was proud to give it to you.

6. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Oh Loggie, she WAS proud, and rightly so, for the jam really is tasty. So, it was the pride, but also I think that she felt sorry for us that we would not allow ourselves to take things meant for ourselves. Chuckle. This lady is a real character with a unique way of speaking...and a big heart of gold.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2021
    Growingpains and Logan like this.
  7. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

The grapes sure taste great, in my imagination!

Sjoerd and Logan like this.