Karachi Coastal Sunset, (portrait mode).

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by S-H, Apr 9, 2020.

1. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

Normally whenever I take outdoor pictures, I do so with the wide side of the camera's frame being horizontal. I think they call this landscape mode when it comes to digital photography and printing.

But this time at the beach, as the sun was setting - No matter what I tried to do, I just couldn't fit the rocks, beach, waves, and the sunset together in one frame.

So regrettably, I turned the camera 90° degrees, (portrait mode)... Of course, had I been standing at the beach, then I would have been able to take the picture as I intended to. But I was about 25 feet above ground. So it had to be this way.

Anyhow, I am really surprised by the end result! So the lesson I take from this is, one should not be too rigid in how they do things. Be a little flexible once in a while, and have fun experimenting - You never know, you too might be pleasantly surprised.
    :D
    It's actually quite comfortable, when viewing on a smartphone screen.
    :cool:

IMG_20191220_170000.jpg
    IMG_20191220_172004.jpg
    IMG_20191218_174556.jpg

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
  2. Loading...

3. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    What beauty you captured. Those moments are hard to catch since they last such a short time and you did it magnificently.

S-H likes this.
  4. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

Thank you Jewell, I'm glad you like them.

I think, picture of the month award is in the bag!

:smt026

carolyn and Jewell like this.
  5. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

S-H, I don't know about that "picture of the month" thing. With those photos you may be winning three months in a row!

S-H likes this.

Advertisement
  6. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

I was actually thinking of suggesting, that picture of the month be split in 5 categories.

1 - Plants and trees, plus fruit and vegetables that we grow.
    2 - Landscapes, outdoor structures, and monuments.
    3 - Birds, animals, and fish, (specially pets).
    4 - Crafts we make, including our cooking & baking.
    5 - Other...

But we unfortunately aren't getting enough pictures in each proposed category to have a poll each month... However someday, when Garden Stew will have 10 times as many active members - Then perhaps it can become a reality.

Of course, this is just an idea on my part. Frank will have the final word on such a change. And I will stand by with whatever he decides.

:D

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
  7. mart

mart Strong Ash

Beautiful photos S-H !! Next time you have trouble with getting the view you want,, try bending the knees and squatting down for landscape mode ! Usually helps !

S-H likes this.
  8. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

Mart, yes I did try doing that, (bending the knees). However it made absolutely no different. As I was still 25 feet above the ground level. While squatting would have only reduced 3 and a half to 4 feet from my height.

I could have tried walking down directly at the beach. But then the rocks would have been behind me - Plus it was extra high tide that day when I took the these pictures, (so not safe for anyone to go down)...

In my opinion, first picture is taken a little early. As the sun is still too high, and bright. Which is why the rocks are appearing dark.

Second picture I think is just perfect, as now the camera can easily make out the exact size of the sun. Reflection of the light from the ocean is also ideal. And the rocks are not showing up too dark either.

However I am actually most surprised by the last picture. As this is after sunset. So here the tide too had now gone out, (exposing the beach). I honestly wasn't expecting too much out of this shot. But as the pink, purple, orange and blue shades in the sky reflected off the sea - Plus the green algae on the rocks, (which otherwise couldn't get picked up by the camera in the first 2 shots), also gaves the picture another amazing hue.

So I actually can't decide if the 2nd picture is the best out of these 3. Or the 3rd one?

Last edited: Apr 10, 2020
  9. mart

mart Strong Ash

Third shot is my favorite !! Tiny boats in the distance and much more movement in the foreground as well as color !! Excellent work S-H !!

S-H likes this.
  10. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

Yes, funny thing - Those tiny fishing boats are always there. But for some unknown reason, camera didn't pick them up in the first 2 shots... Just like the green algae on the rocks.

Don't yet have an explanation for it. But that's how these pictures came out.

11. mart

mart Strong Ash

Still,, Great work !!

S-H likes this.
  12. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

This actually is why I picked a spot about 20 to 25 feet above sea level. As I wanted to capture more depth of view.

Otherwise, had I been at the beach. This camera probably would have missed the fishing boats even in the 3rd picture.

Of course, all these are taken from a smartphone camera - Whereas a dedicated digital SLR camera with an adjustable angle lense would have given different (and probably superior) results...