Keeping a garden window warm during the winter

Discussion in 'Houseplants' started by Jewels, Dec 4, 2008.

1. Jewels

Jewels New Seed

My window has double panes but I lose most of my plants over the winter.

Right now I'm down to practically none. I love African Violets but they do terrible over the winter. I just haven't replaced them since last year..

Would a grow light help?

Also where do you buy houseplants anymore? Some of our grocery stores or Lowe's carry them but they look horrible.

Julie

2. Loading...

3. olma156

olma156 New Seed

Hi Jewels and welcome to the forum.

when you say "Garden window" do you mean window of nursery or house window ?
    Some reasons of loosing plants at winter in a close place are :
    1.Low temperature
    2.Overwatering.
    3.High or very low percentage of humitity
    4.Soil ground not covered.
    5.Bad circulation of the air (everyday must open the window to refresh the air)
    John

4. Jewels

Jewels New Seed

John,
    I mean a house window that sticks out a little from the rest of the house. Not sure I know what a window of nursery is.

I don't overwater but it does get too cold for them. I try and put a glass of water near them for some added humidity.

I'm always freezing so don't think I could open a window in the winter time. :'(

5. olma156

olma156 New Seed

so you have low temperature problem.
    Same problem had a friend at North Greece.
    He solve the problem insulating ceiling-walls and floor with fefzol about 2 inches thick and with a heater he controls the temperature at 20c (70f).
    For humidity he has a (wash-basin/pelvis0 with water, when he watering hiw plants he use this water, water with the same of the room temperature (water temperature is very important).
    With that method he solve the problem also of the quality of water (chlorin etc)
    Now he has in that room tropical plants without any problem.
    John

Advertisement
  6. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Jewels, which side of the house is the window on? Those little garden windows will still get colder than a lot of plants can handle since they are glass on three sides and if the window is on the north side of the house it's not getting any sun for warmth.

I would think a grow light that puts out warmth would help a great deal. But you might also consider moving the plants from that garden window in winter to windows on the south side of the house if possible. Or to a table in another room where you can hang a grow light above them until the weather warms up in spring.

Do you have any garden centers/nurseries in your area besides Lowes? Our Lowes has a tremendous amount of houseplants that are all lush and healthy but that could be because we have a more temperate climate than you do up north.

7. CritterPainter

CritterPainter Awed by Nature

Hi Jewels, sorry to hear about your plants. A warming light will be a good help, maybe even hang a curtain across the window to trap the warmth of the bulb inside the space. The glass of water is a smart idea, misting them a little will help too. That will reduce the chance of spider mites killing off your plants as well, a very common problem around here.
    You are more likely to find house plants at the small, locally owned nurseries. There are a couple in Oly, don't know whereabouts you are but I'd bet you could hunt one up.
    If it's just your african violets that you want to keep, just pinch off a leaf, dip it in a rooting hormone (rootone is good), set it so that the cut bit stays damp, and it will grow roots for you. African violets are so easy to do this with that even I did is successfully!
    Good luck!

8. Jewels

Jewels New Seed

Toni, my window is in the northwest window. It gets too much sun in the summer though so I put a bamboo shade outside and put it down in the late afternoon. Winter is another story. I could try a grow light. Thanks for your suggestions.

Our Lowes doesn't take care of their plants. I've asked and they just say they don't have the man power. GRRRRR But a new one just opened up not far away so I'll check that one out.

Critter, I'm up on the Kitsap peninsula in Bremerton. I guess I can check out some nurseries but not had luck in the past. Not many "mom and pop" ones around anymore.

About the African Violets, I just hate losing my big plants. But it's a good idea to root leafs.

Thanks everyone.