Kitchen Ware in Garden

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by KK Ng, Mar 5, 2022.

1. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

I was looking at some of my garden tools and I realised that I have quite a fair bit of retired kitchen ware I am using :D

[​IMG]
    These 2 items are great for scooping out compost from the tubs.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Woks and frying pan are great as covers and also drying compost.
    [​IMG]
    Wok cover - As its name suggest, great for covering :)
    [​IMG]
    Electric rice cooker pot - Great for storing seed starter mix.
    [​IMG]
    Pot - Great for storing sieved compost for potting mix.
    [​IMG]
    Big Stock pot - great for storing garden tools.
    [​IMG]
    Spoons, fork and a chop stick - Great for transplanting.
    [​IMG]
    Mortar and pestle - Great for pounding egg shell.

So do you have kitchen ware in your garden?

Frank, Melody Mc., Logan and 6 others like this.
  2. Loading...

3. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

I really like the way you re-purpose your kitchen utensils. I had to dig through my brains now, and yes, I have some kitchen stuff that I regularly use in the garden. Old pots and pans, a baking tray, but now that I see what you're using and what for I might expand on the repurposing.

Logan and Cayuga Morning like this.
  4. Dirtmechanic

Dirtmechanic Young Pine

That was a fun journey! I am impressed by your ex-wok collection! I use ex-measuring cups, ex-measuring pitchers and ex-measuring spoons on a regular basis. I see I am missing opportunities to up my recycle game!

Logan, Cayuga Morning and Droopy like this.
  5. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Oh yes! There is a chipped dinner plate that has become a butterfly waterer, I use an old tea kettle to water pot plants, and there are several old bent forks, knives, and spoons that I found in the barn years ago. The "silverware" gets used to loosen soil, break up clods in potting soil, and shovel small amounts of soil into starter cells.
    I have my eye on a seldom used pot. If I can get the handle off, it will make a great planting container!

Advertisement
  6. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

I use big stew spoon and a big salad fork in the raised bed. The size is good for grooming soil and weeding.

Not from kitchen but sewing room, I cut 1-inch strips of old clothes or extra fabrics to use for tying up tomato vines and cucumber vines. Cotton cloth only, so it can be composted at end of season.

Logan, Droopy and eileen like this.
  7. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Thanks Droopy, yes old kitchen stuff really comes in handy in the garden :D

Dirtmechanic thanks, come to think of it I have a set of measuring spoons too! :)

Marlingardener I used to have some dinner plates too but the break too easily :)

Daniel that is a new place for me to explore.

Logan and Droopy like this.
  8. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

That's really inventive, I use a cutlery fork for pricking out seedlings and the plastic punnets that we buy the fruit in I use for potting on containers, I've got so many just in case they decide not to use them anymore.

marlingardener likes this.
  9. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

My, gardeners are an inventive and frugal bunch!
    Daniel, old tee shirts cut into strips make good ties, also. Just make sure the "old" tee is not one of husband's favorites, worn thin over the years. I speak from experience:oops:.

Melody Mc., Logan and Dirtmechanic like this.
  10. Dirtmechanic

Dirtmechanic Young Pine

Or one of your wife's rag towels! All of which have a history and a current purpose! I too speak from experience!

Logan and marlingardener like this.
  11. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

These are all such great ideas and ...very good cautionary spouse advice for rags. :like: I also have a large wok that I use to cover my compost barrel in the summer. I use large enamel hot water bath canners that have chipped/leaked and been retired over the years as planters. I think my favourite is a historic metal bed pan that I fill with flowers in the summer - always worth a chuckle and a little conversation. :rolleyes:
    I also repurpose the retangular containers that mushrooms come in -not sure if others get those. They fit a six pack of starting cells perfectly. As well as some of the trays from the meat department - they are often ridged and allow for proper drainage under a seedling tray. A chopstick for seed planting, and a fork for gently moving/aerating dirt in wee pots. I'm also a huge fan of milk cartons for starting my squash early, so that I can cut away and gently transplant their grumpy roots.

Logan, marlingardener and eileen like this.
  12. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Wow, a historic bed pan as a planter--built in fertilizer!
    I, too, use the plastic square or rectangular boxes from mushrooms, and the rectangular ones from luncheon meats and some of the styrofoam ones from the meat department. They sometimes have a glued in pad to accumulate moisture, and those I just toss. By the time you get the pad off, the tray is in tatters.
    We don't get milk in cartons here, but styrofoam cups with holes poked in the bottom make good small plant starters. I reuse them. You should see my husband's face when I tell him, "Not those cups, they have holes and are for plants." He uses styrofoam cups for small amounts of varnish or paint. He has pointed out that the cups are ultra cheap, and I have pointed out why buy more when we have these?

Melody Mc. and Logan like this.
  13. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

I used to use the 4pt plastic milk cartons as mini green houses when planting out parsnip seedlings but don't grow parsnips anymore.

Melody Mc. likes this.