KK.. Where are you ?? Hubby wants egg fu yong !!

Discussion in 'Recipes and Cooking' started by mart, Nov 30, 2018.

1. mart

mart Strong Ash

Not sure how that is supposed to be spelled ! Some have it as egg u yung or egg fu young and others are egg fu yong as in my Chinese cookbook ! No matter the spelling,, I need some tips and hints ! Yes I know the recipe varies from house to house ,, tips for the sauce would be a big help !

2. Loading...

3. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Yes Mart I'm here!!! :D

Egg fu yong … yum!!!:p Here we don't make it with a gravy and it is eaten wrapped in lettuce leaves. Skill needed here is making the egg fluffy with all the ingredients with it, To make the egg fluffy when frying it, a fair bit of oil is needed and I prefer using lard for the extra flavor. If you have crab meat and you like eating crab then add it in and it would be WOW!!! You can add in prawns too.

Our usual egg fu yong is:
    Eggs
    Roasted pork - any kind of leftover pork without gravy is great or ham will do.
    prawns - seasoned with some salt sugar and sautéed until just cook.
    crab meat - should be pre-cooked.
    Carrot, Peas - cut the carrot in small cubes and boil in salt water until soft together with the peas.
    Onion - cut the onions and sautéed them until caramelised and soft
    Lard for frying.
    Err … sorry no measurement I just do with what I have or should I say by fill!:) Oh ya if you like chili, just add in some fresh cut chili.

For the sauce, I have no idea to make it but I think this should do.
    1/2 cup chicken or beef broth
    1/4 cup or according to taste tomato paste
    1 tablespoon light soy sauce
    1 tablespoon or according to taste rice vinegar or lemon juice
    1 and 1/2 tablespoon sugar - according to taste
    2 teaspoons cornstarch to thicken the sauce

How to do it … please follow this video.

bon appétit

Frank likes this.
  4. mart

mart Strong Ash

Thanks KK ! I am using shrimp although the small salad shrimp is frozen so do not know how good it will be ! I have read hundreds of recipes in the last two days and I don`t think any two were identical so I figured each cook decided what to use ! Like recipes that differ between families ! One called for oyster sauce so I bought that and sesame oil so I have that too ! Soy sauce is a staple here,,always keep that in my fridge !
    He just wants something that tastes like what he ate when he was in Japan ! Wish me luck ! I don`t measure either ! Oh,, And I do have lard ! Its best for pie crusts so always have it !

Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
  5. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

Reading this is making me hungry!!!! Let us know how it turns out Mart!

Advertisement
  6. mart

mart Strong Ash

I will !! Problem is hubby was in Japan over 50 years ago !! Egg fu young is dependent on what family makes it !! It is different between families,,not much but seasonings can make it taste different !! There is really no standard recipe except for the egg part !! Its kind of like an omelet made with whatever leftovers are in the fridge !!

7. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Ah … OK, In Japan it is called kanitama don meaning crab meat egg fu young over rice.

This video is easy to follow and I am sure your hubby will be very happy.
    Have fun Mart :)