Kokoshapjes

Discussion in 'Recipes and Cooking' started by Sjoerd, Mar 10, 2016.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Let me just begin by saying that neither my bride nor I are bakers by ANY stretch of the imagination. Having said that, this little project is so simple that I thought that I could do it...that WE could do it. We worked hip to hip, shoulder to shoulder, elbow to elbow in the little kitchen to produce this most delectable of sweet snacks.
    koek.jpg

Here's what you need:

200 g butter (I used butter with salt)
    200 g brown sugar
    2 tblsp thick molasses
    275 g oatmeal
    100 g shredded, chipped or grated coconut flesh
    75 g chopped candied cherries

The process:

---Smear the edges of a 30 x 23cm baking pan in with a layer of butter and
    Place a cut-to-shape sheet of baking paper
    ---Warm the butter, brown sugar and molasses in a stewer until the mixture has melted
    ---stir the chopped candied cherries, coconut and and oatmeal in well
    koek2.jpg

---transfer the mixture into the baking pan and spread it out and press it down lightly with a spatula (or something similar). Take care to make it neat around the edges
    koek3.jpg

---Bake this in a pre-warmed oven (170°C) for 30 minutes
    ---Take it out and set it aside to rest and cool off for about 10 minutes
    ---Cut the cake in squares with a sharp knife. TIP: If you notice that the "cake" is still way too soft, let it cool off further before cutting further
    koek4.jpg

---Remove these and place them on some sort of roaster elevated for them to cool further
    koek6.jpg

Putting my own twist on this:

---Next, I melt some bitter/dark chocolate until it just begins to melt
    koek5.jpg

---Then remove it immediately
    koek9.jpg

koek7.jpg

---Press the top of the squares down (dip) into the melted chocolate, then set them with the chocolate up on the roaster or a double sheet of paper towel.
    ---As the choc begins to stiffen apply some coconut bits to the top and press them down
    koek8.jpg

That's it.

2. zuzu's petals

zuzu's petals Silly Old Bat Plants Contributor

No words - just ................. [​IMG]

102christa likes this.
  3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

I gained five pounds just reading the recipe! The oatmeal makes this good for you, right? Who cares! Anything this delicious is at least good for your outlook on life.:)

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Jane has said it all Sjoerd. I must check my cupboards and see if I have all the ingredients so that I can try it this week-end.

Advertisement
  5. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Hee,hee,hee ZUZU--I know what you mean, they are delicious albeit waaaaay sweet.

Chortling....JANE--you are a caution.

EILEEN--if you do try it this weekend., let me know how they turned out. I will also advise you that if you cannot let the "cake" bake in the oven at 170 °C, choose a lower temp rather than a higher one.

6. 102christa

102christa Seedling

Lekker! Makes me think of the "childhood" oats cookies we made with cocoa and butter.... It always ends up a delicious mess... And now I want to make some....

7. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Looks SOOOO good! I am watching what I eat right now ... a little too much snacking this winter ... but I'll try this in a few months!

8. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Het is inderdaad lekker, 102--Did you make some of those koeks of yours? How did they turn out?

Uh-oh NETTY--Better hold off for now then. Somehow though, based on your posts, I never had the impression that dieting would be something that you would need to do. Hang tough.

9. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

Mmmm, that sounds and looks yummy! I'm copying the recipe now. It's not something that I am suppose to eat much of but they sound fantastic for a party treat. I have lost 50 pounds over the last 4 years, very slowly. Our 50th anniversary is in August and I am determined to lose another 20 pounds by then so I'm being very careful of what I eat. Hmm, that would be something to make for our party!

10. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

It really is good for a party, but I am very supportive of you when you say that you want to loose some more weight. I would stay away from these lil sweeties if I were you...for the time being at least.
    Good luck with your goal and congratulations on your anniversary (ahead of time).
    The 50th---that's gold, isn't it?