Lady Bug Bowling Ball For My Garden

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Crafts' started by margie12u, Jan 23, 2011.

1. margie12u

margie12u In Flower

Lady Bug Bowling Ball For My Garden
    I purchased a bowling ball at the Goodwill Store. I brought it home and my husband and I cut it in half. We used a hand cutting wood saw to cut a line in the bowling ball about 1\8 in. deep and about 3 to 4 inches long. We started the cut with the handsaw first because it would be very hard to start the cut using a reciprocating saw (Sawzall) because of the round surface of the ball. We used a wood cutting blade and cut all the way around the ball cutting it about 1 inch depth until we cut all the way around the ball. You will need to hold the ball while you are cutting it. We used a metal cutting blade in Sawzall to finished cutting the ball because the center is much harder. You can fill the hole with silicon or some type of caulking. I filled the holes with paper first. It will take less silicon and will dry faster. I sprayed the ball with Kilz it is a stain killer and a primer. I let it dry 24 hours. The next morning I made patterns for the mouth, eyes, and the spots that I painted on it. I painted the ball red, it took 3 coats. I let it dry 24 hrs. The next day I placed the patterns on the ball, I used a black flair pen to trace around them and painted the spots, mouth and and eyes, all in black. After it dried, I painted the eyes and month. We had some 14 gauge copper electrical wiring that we used it for the Antennas. The wire is very flexible and I wrapped it around a pencil to shape them. I put little beads on the end of the Antenna to give it a different look. I drilled holes in the ball for the antennas to fit in. We made the head out of a old crochet ball and cut it in half with a table saw and painted it black. We attached it to the ball with 2-inch deck screws and filled the holes. I took half marbles to use as eyes to make them stick out further. I tried it without the crochet ball for the head first but the crochet ball made it looked much better. It took about 3 days to complete

[​IMG]
    The cut Bowling ball ( photo / image / picture from margie12u's Garden )

[​IMG]
    The cut Bowling ball ( photo / image / picture from margie12u's Garden )

[​IMG]
    This is were I filled the holes ( photo / image / picture from margie12u's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Copper Wire For the Antennas ( photo / image / picture from margie12u's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Primered And Ready For Paint ( photo / image / picture from margie12u's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Three Coats Of Red Paint ( photo / image / picture from margie12u's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Starting To Paint The Eyes And the Spots ( photo / image / picture from margie12u's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Painted Mouth And Eyes Before Adding The Crochet Ball ( photo / image / picture from margie12u's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Front View With Spots ( photo / image / picture from margie12u's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Back View ( photo / image / picture from margie12u's Garden )

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from margie12u's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Completed Lady Bug ( photo / image / picture from margie12u's Garden )

moderator's note: moved topic to more appropriate forum

Frank, eileen and Droopy like this.
  2. Loading...

3. thepondlady

thepondlady In Flower

Very nice! I have one I am going to paint like a giant bumble bee. I made a giant sunflower out of a fan from a semi truck. SOoooooo cool. The big bee will be mounted on a dowel next to the Sunflower. I will add pics to may Gallery when it is done. Love the Lady bugs. :p

4. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

You really did well. I like ladybirds, both the real ones and the decorative ones. Thanks for the instruction. Now I know how to make them if I ever get time to try it. :D

5. Bodhi

Bodhi Seedling

How ingenious! How cute! That is going to look so nice sitting in your garden, and you can make two from one bowling ball. I love it!

Advertisement
  6. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I do love posts like this!! Recycling at its very best that produces something attractive for the garden. What could be better? :-D

7. SongofJoy57

SongofJoy57 In Flower

This is brilliant! (And so are the other ideas! TY! <3

8. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

That turned out great Margie!

9. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

That is darn cute!!!!! Did you make a he and a she since you had 2 halves?

10. sugar

sugar New Seed

I love it!
    I had my daughter in June and she was classed as a June Bug which was a ladybird, so thats close to my heart :) well done!

11. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

This is wonderful Margie, and a brilliant tutorial with pics. I'm so impressed :D

12. calinromania

calinromania Young Pine

wow. nice idea and cool ladybugs. if i ever made some, i don't think i'd find them a place in my flower garden, since it's right in the street and they might attract ... thieves!
    :D

13. angmf2233

angmf2233 Seedling

Thats really cute!!!!!I just found two small molds, one ladybug and a butterfly. I have pored cement and make 2 each so far, need to paint them yet! I have done a few mosaic bbowls, but not a ladybug, you do nice work!

14. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

A definite strike with this one Margie. This will be a garden feature for years to come.

A winner,

Jerry