Lanky shrubby plant with red leaves at the top.

Discussion in 'Plant ID' started by S-H, Nov 28, 2010.

1. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

This is a local plant, can grow to about 5 feet tall. Leaves at the top (near the seed pods) are colored half bright red and half green. There are also 3 seeds in a pod (no more no less).

It is lanky, soft, and grows very easily in any kind of soil (as long as it is kept moist). Locally it is called Pansatiya, but I have no idea what it's botanical name is.

[​IMG]
    Pansatiya 1 ( photo / image / picture from S-H's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Pansatiya 2 ( photo / image / picture from S-H's Garden )

2. Loading...

3. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

In my part of Texas we call it a Summer Pointsetti.I do know I had one and Its everywhere now.So that will warn a few people. :)Its very invasive.

4. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Yep, that would be Euphorbia cyathophora - Summer Poinsettia, Fire on the Mountain and several other common names.

It would be great if you could add growing info and the photos to our Plant Page http://www.gardenstew.com/plantstew/28060

5. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

Thanks Glendann & Toni - I by the way think it's somewhat funny that we here call it "Pansatiya", and you guys call it "Poinsettia". :)

Yes it can be a bit invasive, however it does seem to like our hot weather a lot. So where other plants die due to our heat, this one continues to add color to the garden! :)

I however thought that it was a native of my area, really had no idea that it also grew in Texas too. So which part of the world does it actually belong to? I seem to be getting confusing answers from google - Some pages sat that it is a native of Hawaii, while others say different things.

Advertisement
  6. toni

From what I have found it, like the Euphorbia pulcherrima, is native to Mexico, but has spread to other parts of the world and apparently become very invasive. I would guess that birds started the spread by eating the seeds and 'planting' them along their flight paths, then people took over by taking them from the wild to plant in their gardens and giving them to others.

http://www.hear.org/starr/images/specie ... a&o=plants Lists it as a non-native but naturalized plant in Hawaii.
    The USDA http://www.plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=EUCY map shows how widespread it is in the U.S.

Oh, also, the Poinsettia was named after Joel Roberts Poinsett who found it in Mexico and introduced it to the states in 1828.

eileen likes this.
  7. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

Amazing! Just imagine this plant making it's way all over here to Pakistan (crossing not 1 but 2 oceans)! And has today become so widespread that I thought it is a native of my area.

8. toni

When I first joined GardenStew I was amazed to find gardeners the world over love and grow many of the same plants.

And have many of the same problem weeds :rolleyes:

9. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

And don't you think it's also pretty cool, Toni, how the same plants will grow differently in other climates. Example, when I was in Peru in the summer time, I saw Poinsettia grown as trees! Small, but trees.