Large fast growing houseplant ideas

Discussion in 'Houseplants' started by fish_4_all, Nov 15, 2008.

1. fish_4_all

fish_4_all In Flower

I love houseplants but don't have a lot of window space for a large one. It needs to be able to survive and thrive without sunlight, at least no direct lighting. I like fast growers that get large but not bushy outside the pot. Of course I would like something I can start plants from rather easily but not absolutely needed. A sturdy strong plant that will take a little abuse here and there from children and pets.

I saw one that I liked but have not seen it again. It had long dark green verigated leaves that were very sharp pointed. It grew straight up and seemed like it was always trying to fill the pot it was in because there were shorter ones in the pot and I don't think they could have been planted in it because it was so full.

Any plant that grows straight up and fills in the pot readily would work for me. Especially if I could start new ones in some way or another.

Any ideas?

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. petals
      Replies:
      Views:

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

The plant you describe could maybe be Mother-in-Laws- Tongue Christopher. I have a Peace lily. Clivia, Lucky bamboo, Wandering Jew, Dragon trees and some African violets that need very little attention and indirect sunlght but they may not be exactly what you're looking for.

4. fish_4_all

fish_4_all In Flower

That is really close and could well be the one I am looking for but I am not sure.

The ones I have seen were more arrow head shaped. That and they were so much more compact in the flower pot. Could just be the difference in the growing climates though or something like that. Also, the ones I saw were not anywhere near 4 feet tall but stayed about 2 feet tall. Again, might just have been a young plant but those are noteable differences.

Are they easy to propogate to start new plants from?

Any other plants that grow like Mother-in-Laws- Tongue?

5. EJ

EJ Allotmenteer Extraordinaire

Aspidestra is a good one - also known as the cast iron plant as it is almost impossible to kill and can grow very well with very little sunlight.

Advertisement
  6. fish_4_all

fish_4_all In Flower

Anyone know much about calathea 'Dottie' ? Looks really nice and even though it doesn't meet what I really want my wife and I both love purple so it could be an option if it is an easy enough houseplant.

Any other ideas for a purple large leaf plant that is tough?

7. fish_4_all

fish_4_all In Flower

I think it is Mother-in-Laws-Tongue after finding some more pictures of it. Should be exactly what I want and once I get my hand on it I think it will fill in any pot I put it in if I don't kill it.