Lawn care for my first home

Discussion in 'Lawn Care' started by John Smith, May 13, 2007.

1. John Smith

John Smith New Seed

Well I bought my first house last week (foreclosure) and it con be a stressful situation. The house is 2400sq ft and the yard is 1.5 acres.

The major issues are the trees and stumps in the back yard and the spot where the pool sat..and the flower beds in the front. I want to make this yard look good. I use well water so I'm not sure if that is a good or bad thing....it all I have we are not hooked up to the city. Either way How do I recover this yard so far into the spring? What type of grass is it? Can you change the type of grass you have fairly easy?? What grass is the easiest to keep up while also being very green (winter rye) green?

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. sgmgarden
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. thejames
      Replies:
      Views:

3. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Very nice spot you have there John. I'm no expert on lawn care, but it looks to me like your lawn just needs a good raking, water and some regular weekly maintenance. That should green it up. I can picture those flower beds with Hosta's. Is there anything planted in them?

4. John Smith

John Smith New Seed

I'm not sure what the previous owners planted in there. I'm looking for that wow factor....you know when you are driving down the road and you see this one house with the awesomely green and manicured lawn....when you look at it you think to yourself I want my yard to look like that....That is what I'm after, but if that is all it's going to take then this is going to be easy...maybe?

5. zuzu's petals

zuzu's petals Silly Old Bat Plants Contributor

It's a lovely place, John.
    I'm sure that you will make it into the showplace of your dreams.

:D Heheh, must be a "guy thing".

I admit that when I see a broad expanse of grass all I can think is
    " . . . Oooo :eek: , if I tore all of that out, I could plant SOO many amazing flowering plants . . . "

In my part of the country, whenever you do see one of those manicured lawns,
    you just have to drive by the same place on the right day,
    and you'll see the lawn service truck, spraying loads of chemicals. :rolleyes: