Lazy cooks

Discussion in 'Recipes and Cooking' started by marlingardener, Jun 6, 2015.

1. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

I had taken dill vinegar and cucumbers to my hair salon (only place that makes me look less like a sheepdog) and one of the customers asked how to use it. I explained about slicing the cucumbers and red onions very thin, sprinkling with freshly ground black pepper and just a pinch of salt, and then sprinkling with the dill vinegar. She said it was too much work. I've also been told that steaming fresh green beans is too much work (the Green Giant got a big ho, ho, ho out of that one!).
    How lazy can some cooks get? Any lazy cook stories out there? Of course, Stewies would never be lazy cooks, this from a woman with frozen French fries in the freezer.:smt002

2. Loading...

3. cajuncappy

cajuncappy In Flower

It's good to know a couple lazy cook recipes for when ya in a hurry or dont have time. I love spending all day in the kitchen making those time honored slow cooked Cajun dishes Mama usta make but when ya dont have a time Its good to throw some thing together in a few seconds put it cooking and hit the shower when you come out its ready to eat.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2015
  4. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Oh yes Cappy, I have several of those "quickie" recipes for when I'm too rushed/tired/not interested. I just don't understand the people who don't love occasionally spending all day in the kitchen making those time-honored slow-cooked dishes.
    I'd bet your Mama had some wonderful dishes coming out of her kitchen.

5. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

If I'm only cooking for myself I don't put a lot of effort into meals. However, when cooking for others I spend hours preparing and creating dishes that I know they'll like. Having a fruitarian son, with a vegan girlfriend, challenges me at times but I still enjoy giving them meals that suit their diets. The only thing I'm no great shakes at are Yorkshire puddings so either Ian makes those or a buy them frozen.

Advertisement
  6. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

With the 2 of us, it's you fix whatever you want for breakfast and lunch and I'll fix what I want. I do enjoy cooking but it's hard to cook for just 2 people, especially if one is diabetic and the other has high cholesterol. I do enjoy cooking meals when we have company. I can get a little fancier then.

7. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Lazy or just don't like to cook?
    Well, contrary to popular myth...not all women like to cook :oops: Ooops I guess that's a secret since I get looked at like I am not fully a woman unless I have a different apron for each day of the week, prepare 3 full meals a day and none of them consist of less than 3 courses :confused: and sing with joy like a crazed Nightingale while doing it. I have been the cook in the family for 51 years, never really wanted the job but being the woman it was expected of me.

Over the last few years things have evolved in my favor. Breakfast is ...you want it, you make it. Lunch is, you want it, you make it and supper is... if I feel like it, I will make something... otherwise you want it, you make it.

Georgia Girl Beth likes this.
  8. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Toni, there's a big difference between not wanting to cook and just being too lazy to make the effort. After 51 years of cooking you have earned the right to call it quits when you want. However, I do remember someone saying their left-overs went to their daughter's house??? And someone who has fed a family for that many years when they weren't all that crazy about the job deserves a silver spoon award!
    I love to cook, but was never forced into it. My mother always bragged about how good a cook she was, and I believed it and thought I'd never live up to her standards. After traveling a bit and experiencing different cuisines, I discovered she wasn't as good as advertised. I started to cook, experiment, try new things, and found that although I didn't have many talents artistic or otherwise, by golly I could cook! I indulge in recreational baking, love making dishes that use our garden produce, and generally have fun in the kitchen.

Henry Johnson likes this.
  9. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Yeah, after all these years I am tired of cooking but hating too cook has always been with me. For me it is a matter of doing the absolute minimum to get a meal done. Even doing the light salad dish you told the woman about is way more effort than I want to add to a meal preparation. I figure I am one of the lazy cooks and may as well carry the title proudly.
    My oldest daughter loves to cook when she has the time and my youngest is learning to cook some things....mainly things with tentacles but she likes it. :)

10. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

One of the problems I have is that I'm so use to cooking huge meals that it is really hard to cook a stew, spaghetti, lasagna, or just about any casserole for 2. Some you can freeze and some you can't.

11. Donna S

Donna S Hardy Maple

I love to cook and bake. I cook with leftovers in mind and some for the freezer. I love when my house smells yummy. I love new recipes but I hate when they turnout tasteless and I wasted my time and food. I love when all the dishes are empty and everyone is full and content. I love to brag when it all came from MY gardens.

Henry Johnson and marlingardener like this.
  12. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

2ofus, I know what you mean--I've always "overcooked". My husband has always said that if an invading army comes near our house, I can feed them and send left-overs in their knapsacks.
    Donna, judging from the recipes you've posted I can't imagine any left-overs, and everyone ought to be full and happy.
    Your house must smell yummy all the time, and your gardens provide you with the very best ingredients.

13. Riccur

Riccur Seedling

The frozen food is always way easy to handle. Chefs now think order pizza is difficult work. :) haha.

14. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Eileen, one learns so much here! I have never heard the term "frutarian". Can you explain it to me please?

15. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Yeah, I am lazy, too. I eat my corn right in the field. No cooking it for me.

16. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I like to cook and bake a lot - in the winter. When I am home in the winter, there is nothing I like to do more than cook, try new recipes, bake, preserve. In the summer, I am too busy and would prefer not to. I'd rather be outside.
    I must be lazy too... my asparagus never makes it back to the house, and the peas get eaten right off the vine. If I had corn growing, I would eat that outside too :)