leaves are gone from watermelon, cucumber, cantalope

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Anonymous, Jul 19, 2005.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I went out in the garden this morning and all the leaves are gone from my watermelon, cucumber, cantalope and eggplant. They were all doing really well before today. My garden is fenced in. I can't explain what happened. I would be thankful for any advice you could offer. Thanks!

2. Loading...

3. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

How high is your fence? Deer can jump a fence six feet high. Were there any sign of tracks in the soil around the plaantss? How big were the plants? How many plants were there? Bugs ate my plants, but the plants were little yet. I don't know what animals will eat the plants that have fuzzy leaves, little stickery things on them. Javalina will eat most anything though. I don't know if you live where there are javalina. We not only fence things, we double fence in some areas. More questions than answers here. I'm sorry. Dooley

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

all the leaves are gone

Thanks for responding. There are no deer in my neighborhood, but there are rabbitts, squirels, raccoons and a family of groundhogs. The fence is about 30 inches high, with a locking gate. I didn't see any footprints or any signs of digging. Is there any hope for a plant whose leaves have all been eaten? Anything I can do now?

5. dooley

I had bushes grow new leaves when the old ones fell off but I've never had a plant grow new leaves when something ate them. But, maybe if you continue to water them they might. Is it too late to start new ones. I'm waiting to start new plants until it cools down some. It was 107 degrees on Sunday and about 104 yesterday. Hopefully when the summer rains begin it will cool down to low 90's and I can plant some more things. I hope you can plant some more. Dooley

Advertisement
  6. dooley

Oh, I was rereading your post. My son lived in New York and groundhogs ate his garden. They can dig under fences. If you find a hole, put used kitty litter down it. They don't like it and will go away. Maybe! Dooley

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

all the leaves are gone

I went out this morning and found a path in the grass from a groundhog hole right to my garden! So, mystery solved. Found a bottle of fox urine in the garage. Thought that might repel the little devil. But, I'll definately try the used kitty litter trick. thanks for your help.

8. Arkfed002

Arkfed002 New Seed

I know this post is old but Ground hogs can climb over fences, I had to use a have a heart trap to get rid of the ones in my back yard.. They went away on a full stomach.

9. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Ground hogs can multiply very well also if you let the problem go. We trapped 26 in 2 years. Now we get just a few a year. Our problem this year has been raccoons and rabbits. I have seen some foxes to that will take care of the rabbits we take care of the raccoons.