Less mowing equals more planting space

Discussion in 'Garden Design' started by cherylad, Aug 18, 2012.

1. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Earlier this year, I realized I was working far too hard mowing and edging around lots of beds and shrubs. Mowing is my favorite yard chore... but who says I have to spend that much time doing it?
    Here's a couple before photos to give you an idea of what I was dealing with.

[​IMG]
    before1 ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Before2 ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

I made myself a plan. Bye-bye lots of grass!
    It would have taken too much work to dig it all out. So I started scrounging up cardboard boxes from everywhere. Found two great sources... the dumpster by a pizza place and the liquor store. So every weekend, I'd lay down that week's supply of cardboard and cover it with mulch. I really wanted to have a bunch delivered, but using the bags was easier at this point (even though it was more costly).
    And 25 bags later...

[​IMG]
    after1 ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

[​IMG]
    after2 ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

The mulch isn't as thick as I'd like. I'm going to let it all settle down for a few weeks and then get a pick-up truck load and top it off.

My workload has been reduced by more than half! And the bonus... I have a huge flower bed to plant in and not have to worry about leaving enough space for the lawn mower between stuff!

And as a sidenote... most of the rocks were given to me by a co-worker last year. They had been placed around several beds and shrubs to keep me from destroying things with the water hose and weedeater. I almost had enough to complete this area, but had to go buy 10 more. Not bad considering the price of rocks around here.

[​IMG]
    after3 ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

Die grass die! Hmmmm.... now I need more plants. Such a dilemma!
    :stew2:

2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Very Good!!! More beds to plant in also mean less gas for the lawnmower and that means more money for the plants to fill in the flower beds. It means less time spent mowing/edging and more time planting in the flower beds. ;)
    Larger flower beds is a win/win situation !!

Frank likes this.
  4. chocolate

chocolate In Flower

Yes I agree.... good ideas, dont forget the little path with an archway or two....more plants and easy access!

5. blissful photons

blissful photons In Flower

No grass

Good move.

Advertisement
  6. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Oh I do like the new flower beds. There's so much space to put in all your favourite plants!! You'll have more time too to pick and choose exactly what you want. :D
    You'll still have the pleasure of mowing your lawn too but with much less effort.

7. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Cheryl, That looks very nice. You did a great job there.

8. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

I agree with Carolyn. Nice job.....

Barb in Pa.

9. cherylad

Toni.... I knew I could count on you to justify it all. Who doesn't love a win/ win situation?

Chocolate.... it's funny you mention an archway. Even though I already have one by the back gate... I was thinking about having Hubby build me another one. Definitely something to consider.

Thanks Bliss, Eileen, Carolyn, and Barb.
    Next phase... expanding the daylily area.
    I might as well, right? I've got a stash of cardboard that needs to be used up!

10. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Well ... it would be such a shame to waste all that cardboard. ;) You might as well force yourself to extend that daylily bed. :D

11. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Looks great! I expand my gardens a little more each year, usually trying to be sneaky so my hubby doesn't notice. This year he offered to pick up a load of soil with his truck so I could expand them easier/faster :rolleyes: I guess he doesn't like cutting grass as much as I thought!

12. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Cheryl--I love the look of your new yard! I like the simplier lines. Beautiful, (and also so much fun to be able to plant more!)

13. cherylad

Thanks Netty and Cayuga.
    My brother wasn't too pleased about me killing off the grass he planted. I quickly reminded him of the perfectly good trees he cut down. Nothing else has been said about it. :D
    And I forgot to also show another area where I combined two individual plants to make a bed... even more space for plants!

[​IMG]
    new bed ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

Donna S likes this.
  14. Pianolady

Pianolady In Flower

Looks good! That's how I ended up with all my gardens too. Then I started connecting all my areas and they just grew and grew, lol.

15. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

A busy beaver you have been!! With spectacular results, and all that new space to provide new homes for new pants. Green!! Everything is green. The stories of a drought gives me the impression of a brown wasteland with dust-devils lashing at the remaining vestiges of greenery. You have created an oasis!! An extra round of applause for your efforts. :smt038 :sete_005: :smt038

Jerry

16. cherylad

Thank you PianoLady. I have a feeling that over time more grass will get replaced. But I'd better do it gradually so I won't get in trouble.

Thanks Jerry! Yep... it's kept me busy... especially scrounging up all that cardboard! :D
    And my part of Texas isn't in drought conditions this year.
    When I lived in New Mexico... I was used to everything being "brown". I'd come home to visit and everyone was talking about it being a drought. I was confused because it sure looked nice and green to me!
    :eek: