Life Slowly Returns To Normal

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Sjoerd, Apr 12, 2017.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

The house move is over. Today the very last thing to do with the old house took place---the handing over of the garage and keys. Hallelujah! What a nightmare it was to up sticks and move to a new location. I shan't be doing this again.

Well then, so the move has concluded and most of the things in the house are at the position they should be. I still have a couple of things to prepare for hanging on the walls...and of course finding just the right place for them. Finally we have a home with space to display some mementos of our travels and now I find that having swathes of open wall space attractive and restful...giving up open space for a wall hanging is enormously difficult. I had not expected that.
    But you are not interested in all this chit-chat, so I shall carry on with a few garden flower pics. However, I will begin with a view of our much-loved harbour with its quite old tower:
    thuis.jpg

This is a place where we spend a great deal of time...our favourite fish place is there, a couple of small restaurants we frequent are there, and it is now a couple of minutes walk to get there. We live off to the left (not visible on this foto).
    Here is a view of the tower and boats seen from our living room:
    thuis7.jpg

Then the most important thing--a few flowers in the garden now. Here in the first foto are Fritillaria surrounded by Tulipa turkestanica:
    thuis3.jpg

Over in the blueberry patch the crocuses were blooming well:
    thuis6.jpg

Then a couple of weeks later the Tulipa's took over against the fresh, green background of the Limnanthes:
    thuis6a.jpg

I also have daffs:
    thuis2.jpg

I took some home for the Bride:
    thuis5.jpg

That was the light bit...I shall write more later on to show some of the work that I have been doing.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Frank
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Odif
      Replies:
      Views:

3. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

Yes, moving house is always a huge job of work. We've done that several times. But, this last time we moved into an apartment so no garden of our own. I truly miss being able to plant stuff. There is a farmer's market in the summer and an indoor farmer's market in the winter though the winter one has stuff grown elsewhere or preserved from summer time. I'm glad you are settled in some and will have time for growing stuff with summer coming. dooley

hummerbum, Sjoerd and Philip Nulty like this.
  4. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I just can't even begin to think of packing the bags and moving. we have too much stuff at this point in out lives. kudos to you. I hope you like the new digs far better otherwise it isn't worth the hassle of moving. the garden is still awesome.

Sjoerd and Philip Nulty like this.
  5. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Hey DOOLEY-- I know that you are missing being able to grow stuff and potter-about in a garden, but as you said there are the Farmers' Markets. I'll bet you and DR frequent those, eh? It is so good to hear from you.

Thanks for your remarks, CAROLYN--We really like the new digs a lot. It is quiet here and there is a great deal of green on the opposite side of the house from the harbour tower view. I do not regret moving, but the move and all the aspects were not pleasant at all.

hummerbum, carolyn and Philip Nulty like this.

Advertisement
  6. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

What a view you have! I think the move would be worth getting that alone!
    Your flowers, as always, are lovely. I can hardly wait to see the "lottie" with all the wonderful things you grow.
    Let us all know how you are progressing when you can find time from arranging furniture, hanging wall art, and digging at the allotment!

hummerbum, Sjoerd and Philip Nulty like this.
  7. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Congratulations on your new home Sjoerd. It must be lovely to be so near the beautiful harbour and your favourite fish place. I know what you mean about the stress of moving but it must be lovely to have more space. Now you can 'put down roots' and enjoy your lives again in your new house.

8. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Congratulations on your new home Sjoerd. Love the view.
    Moving is no fun but if it is for improvement then the rewards and satisfaction is great!

9. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Congrats on your big move Sjoerd :smt038 I can imagine it was quite the daunting process. Do you notice more of an echo in your rooms now that you have blank wall space?
    Looking forward to more garden pics!

10. kate

kate In Flower

Gob smacked at the view...beautiful I would forever be looking at that view.
    Hmm..moving is a big stresser and my one will be my forever home having been through it five weeks ago.

Oh, the Frits are there before you, enjoy those.

frititiareas.jpg

Have a long happy life Sjoerd in your absolutely amazing new home!!
    K

Sjoerd, carolyn and Philip Nulty like this.
  11. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Wow SJ those are some beautiful views. What a wonderful place to live and put down your forever roots. No move is ever fun, but the rewards out way the hassle. Those are some beautiful flowers as well. Only Daff's and crocus blooming here at this time. Yesterday we had frost on our pasture. YIKES! I can't wait for a real spring to finally be here. You are such a sweetie remembering to bring your sweetie those Daffy blooms. Love the look of the board you mounted the vase to.

12. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Hi Sjoerd,..congrats on the new move,.. great view from your living room,..nice nice!,..beautiful big splash of colour from the Crocus and the Frits are nice as well,..not forgetting the take home blooms :)

Sjoerd likes this.
  13. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

2T--Thanks for responding. I am glad that you liked the posting this time, and the things in it. We are enjoying the new house alright, but the bruise of the move has not yet re-absorbed. hahaha. The bride really likes the little flower arrangement and has said that she may use it all summer with our own garden flowers.

PHILIP--Thanks for liking the view from here. Spring is slowly coming to West-Friesland and what colour there is in the lottie is really a blessing to see.

Philip Nulty and Tooty2shoes like this.
  14. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Thanks JANE--I shall have more time now. Whew!

Cheers, EILEEN--Yes, it is nice to have the move behind me.

Thank you, KK-- You are right about that. It was worth it.

Hahaha--yes, FRANK--I do notice some echo effect with all the extra space.

Ah KATE-- Thank you for your nice words. I am so glad that you like the view, it was one of the factors that made us settle on this location.

Philip Nulty and Frank like this.
  15. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

Don't envy you the task of a move but congrats it is all finally over AND you get the enjoyment excitement of organizing for you and yours a new house into a comfy home :)

Love your Frittilaria too. Gorgeous ;) :) :) : )

Philip Nulty and Sjoerd like this.
  16. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Hiya ISLAND--Thanks so much for your congrats....and the compliments on the Frits. They are so unusually attractive. Can you grow them where you live?

Philip Nulty likes this.