Lights are on, but everybody at home...

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by S-H, Dec 28, 2020.

1. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

Just some pictures I took yesterday, of my area, to showcase the end of this year.

Even though the coronavirus lockdown is now very much relaxed. People seem to have just lost their will be out and about.

Otherwise these places were always jam-packed with people and cars, everyday after sunset. But now...

However on the plus side, now driving on empty streets is soooo pleasurable!

:cool:

IMG_20201228_071412_copy_1280x720.jpg IMG_20201228_071317_copy_1280x720.jpg IMG_20201228_071207_copy_1280x720.jpg

Jewell and Cayuga Morning like this.
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Melody Mc.
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Sjoerd
      Replies:
      Views:

3. mart

mart Strong Ash

Wow,, The streets are empty ! Unusual !

S-H likes this.
  4. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

Correct, otherwise this area by the beach was always crowded. But now...

images(313).jpg 74x3btc1wmo41.jpg clifton-beach.jpg

These 3 pictures above in this post are not taken by me, (just saying in case they accidentally entered the pic of the month contest). The initial 3 pictures of the original post are however totally mine.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2020
    Cayuga Morning likes this.
  5. mart

mart Strong Ash

Well,, at least you do not have to gripe about the crowds,, you have it all to yourself !

S-H likes this.

Advertisement
  6. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

I agree Mart, it's very nice now, without people.

IMG_20201230_045749.jpg

Again, not my picture.

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  7. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

Just a few videos of my area.

8. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Beautiful beaches S-H!

S-H likes this.
  9. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

Thanks @Cayuga Morning :D
    This is what I call home, where I grew up. Practically every street, sidewalk, and any open area - Has some type of a pleasant memory associated for me...

Cayuga Morning and Jewell like this.
  10. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Nice S-H. I call that "attachment to place" as corny as that sounds. Something very special about a place where we have lived for some time, especially as children.

My family bought an old farm when i was just three years old. It was cheap, nothing to write home about, the farm house had burned down. It was vacation property for us. The soil was too poor for farming so we turned it into a tree farm. Long story short, my heart absolutely sings every year when we make our annual trek to the farm. So many memories. I know the lay of the land by heart.

So yes, I understand your posting.

Jewell and S-H like this.
  11. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

I swear, there was a time when I knew the names of individual people living in most houses here. As well as names of their Dogs too!

It's funny, now that I look at it all in hindsight - As I know exactly which kid would always be fighting against who. Who lied about what, (and subsequently got caught later)... I also know who's mom was an out of control nymphomaniac, (like Mrs. Robinson in the classic movie, The Graduate) - And as they say, that an apple doesn't fall far from the tree... So when she was away, and her eldest son (having the whole house for himself) called over a prostitute - Which another neighbor saw, and then gossiped about endlessly!!!

:rofl:

I now sometimes accidentally see them on social media, (now they are settled elsewhere). Pretending to be this or that, and making tall claims about themselves - While I know exactly what a big goof they all use to be at one time... Perhaps this is why we deliberately didn't stay in touch with each other after growing up - As they can't lie in front of me, as I know all their dirty little secrets, (which they wouldn't like to be reminded about now)!

:snicker: :rofl::smt044

This is why people aren't important to me all that much. For they come and go throughout life, (their only purpose in life is to just keep me entertained for a while). But this place and the natural environment around it however, I do care about a lot...

Last edited: Jan 3, 2021
    Jewell likes this.
  12. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Am amazed you still browse social media. I too used to know all the names and personalities of neighbors, now only a few. Nature is sublime. We need it but it does better without us. Social media I pretty much dropped this last year. Their algorithms kept feeding me garbage and I really didn’t want to hear the exploits of individuals I don’t regularly converse with. My sweetie still uses it and sometimes we can be talking about getting or needing something and the product will start showing up in his feed. Yes, nature maybe unpredictable but it is something even at its worst has a feeling of rightness. Social media not so much. I’m surprised I still hang out here at Gardenstew. Not many of my friends like plants and dirt but they put up with my other crazies.

S-H likes this.
  13. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

I brows social media, just for laughs, and that too like maybe once in a year now.

Jewell likes this.