Lilacs and Gardenias

Discussion in 'Gardening Other' started by PeggySuetheStew, May 29, 2005.

1. PeggySuetheStew

PeggySuetheStew Seedling

I have planted several lilacs to very mixed results. Some were even from the Lilac Festival in Rochester and sadly, I don't think any of them survived. Not to be discouraged, I ordered 5 more from a mail order place and only 2 have survived (I guess I don't have a knack for it or something). Anyway, how old do they have to be before they bud? One survivor is over 6 feet tall but no signs, the other, supposedly same age, is about 3 feet tall. Since I got a color variety, I have no clue as to what has survived. :? Oh well, hopefully I will know eventually. My nice tall one has some shoots, and I would love to help it 'breed babies' but don't want to take them away too soon. One thing they told me in Rochester is that lilacs do not like evergreens, and that they prefer 'sweet' soil. Is there a suggestion (preferably an organic type one) of what I can add to sweeten my soil? I think I have one hanging on that is about a foot tall, with buds, no leaves yet, but the buds are greening (or molding).
    I also have this year planted a dwarf gardenia that is suddenly going yellow on me .. the leaves that is, and I don't know if it's a soil thing, a water/or lack of thing, or what to do! Do they prefer acid soil? Do they have problems with evergreen neighbors? Someone suggested adding coffee grounds around the soil of acid loving plants, any comments??
    HELP!

2. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Wow so many questions so little time ;) I will do my best Peggy!

Soil can be made 'sweeter' (more alkaline) by adding ground limestone. There is more detailed info here: http://grounds-mag.com/news/grounds_mai ... esting_ph/

It's quite disheartening to hear about your bad luck with the lilacs Peggy. Lilacs require full sun and a slightly alkaline soil of pH 7.5. Also be careful when you prune because it is very easy to prune the developing buds without even knowing.

Did your lilacs receive much sun? I reckon they are suffering because of a lack of sun or maybe your soil is too acidic? Maybe a soil pH test is in order :smt080

As for your gardenia they have very exact requirements for healthy growth:
    - Full sun (as with the lilac)
    - Soil pH of between 5 and 6 (acidic)
    - Humidity
    - Moist soil
    - Heavy feeding

You may find this page about gardenias interesting: http://www.thegardenhelper.com/gardenia.htm

Does this information help you Peggy? I hope it does! :smt023

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Hi there PeggySue. I think you might also find this site of interest to you:
    www.gardenersnet.com/lilac.htm

I have three lilac trees in my garden all flowering at the moment. They are beautiful trees when in bloom and the scent is gorgeous. I hope you find a solution to your problem and manage to grow lilacs from now on.

4. PeggySuetheStew

PeggySuetheStew Seedling

Thank you for your info! I have been distracted by too much drama! Anyway, I am going to try and get my ph together and see if that will help. Lilacs are growing nicely, and I will hope for blooms next year. Eileen, do you ever take the little shoots? I thought someone told me to let the mother plant be for a few years before I took her babies, but the one big one is making lots of little guys! I just wish I knew what color it will be!