Lily or Iris? Belamcanda Chinensis?

Discussion in 'Plant ID' started by Tflynn, Jul 12, 2007.

1. Tflynn

Tflynn New Seed

This is driving me crazzzzzy! I think I have my plant identified as the Blackberry Lily ( belamcanda Chinensis ) but everything I read on that plant say it only grows to 2-3 ft. tall. I planted my "mystery plant" last summer after purchasing it at a local nursey which, unfortunately has since closed. It was huge last year and gave me no reason to question it but this year it has grown to FIVE feet and not convinced it is finished! It seems to have multiplied but need any information anyone can provide as to the care of these plants. Can I divide this plant? Do they multiply on their own? WHYYYY is mine sooo BIG? Is it really the belamcanda Chinensis?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

pic2 ( I have more ) hopefully you can grasp the size of this plant by this pic---if not I have more w/hubby-6'2" standing beside it

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. marlingardener
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. marlingardener
      Replies:
      Views:

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Mmmmm well it doesn't look like an iris that's for sure but what type of lily it is I'm not too sure. :-? Sorry I can't be more helpful but I'm sure Zuzu will be along shortly - she's great at IDing plants. :-D

4. Tflynn

Tflynn New Seed

Thanks eileen :) I am pretty sure it's a blackberry lily (belamcanda chinensis) but am baffled at the size!! This is it's 2nd year and started as one plant last summer. It seems to have not only multiplied but is ENORMOUS reaching a tad over 5 ft.tall! Could it be the RICH Illinois soil?

5. eileen

I've had amazing lily growth this year too!! My asiatic lilies, which have always been about 3 feet tall have suddely grown to 6 feet this year. I think it has a lot to do with the fact that we had a really hot April here in Scotland. May was extremely wet and then we had another hot spell. Maybe it's the same kind of thing that's caused the growth spurt in your lilies too?

Advertisement
  6. zuzu's petals

zuzu's petals Silly Old Bat Plants Contributor

WOW!! What a happy plant! That is just stunning!! :smt023

Yes, Iris, and yes, I'd put my money on Belamcanda chinensis
    (though I will confess that I don't know these plants well enough
    to absolutely rule out Pardancanda).

There are some types of Blackberry Lily
    (which, of course, is not a Lily at all,
    but actually is a member of the Iris family :rolleyes: )
    known to grow taller than average,
    I know that one of my favorite nurseries offers a variety discovered in the Yunnan province
    which reliably grows flower spikes to 4 or 5 feet in height.

Welcome to the Stew Tflynn, :wave:
    I need some of your awesome Illinois soil,
    mine don't grow nearly that big here in my coastal sand :?

*** Edit to add ***
    You asked about division and general care,
    Well, it looks like you've found the ideal location, :-D
    and yes they can be propogated nicely by division,
    but, they also start (almost too) easily from those blackberry-looking seed heads,
    which gave them their common name.
    If you don't deadhead those pods away,
    you can expect LOTS more little ones to show up all around your mama plants. :D

7. eileen

Zuzu you're a marvel. :D I had no idea that it was actually an iris. Now that's why I love it here so much - you learn something new every day!! :-D

8. zuzu's petals

Heheh, it's crazy how many non-lilies are commonly called by that name, isn't it, Eileen?

Between all the Iris, Amaryllis, Cannas, Callas, etc. :-?
    The true lily family is much smaller if you eliminate all the "pretenders". :D

9. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I love Iris and that blackberry lily is as pretty color, guess I need to put some in the ground this fall. :-D

10. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Very pretty plant, whatever it is! I must add Blackberry Lily to my wish list!

11. Tflynn

Tflynn New Seed

Wow! THANKS everyone!!!! I have been crazy busy today so just now getting to check in. I closed a post on another site concluding that I got overly excited about my plant! When I discovered that I hadnt saved the "info" stake that accompanied when I purchased it the plant I went searching the local nurseries only to discover the leaves resembled the iris plant but the flowers were definitely a spotted lily. I am way new at gardening but my personality took over to find the answer! All other plants similar to this I found at local nurseries had very similar flowers but flimsy long skinny leaves. There is nothing flimsy about the leaves on my plants. That's when I noticed the iris leaves which were exactly like the ones on this plant so of course the curiosity grew!
    ZuZu {{{ big hugs }}} you say yes, Iris, so.... being the newbie I am ( dont laugh ) how does it not have the iris flower? I will get on the deadheading first thing in the morning! yikes! I dont have room!! And would it be best to divide it next spring or go ahead now?
    Toni, Netty or anyone that is interested in a division let me know, I will be happy to send but you will have to tell me the best way to send. My entire back yard is shaded and not enough sun to go around for these monsters! I dont know how to keep the seeds which may be easier to send but if anyone has suggestions I am willing to try!! Thanks again all! I can't tell you how much I appreciate all your help!
    Teresa

12. zuzu's petals

That's actually a really great question,
    and a botanist could certainly give a better answer, but I'll tell you what I think I know. [​IMG]

First, the Iris "family" (Iridaceae), of which the "true" Irises are a branch,
    is surprisingly diverse and includes some other familiar plants
    whose flowers also don't look like traditional "Iris"
    and which you might never have realized were in the clan. :-D

Within the greater family (in addition to Belamcanda)
    there is Crocus, Ixia, Freesia, and Gladiolus, among others.
    You can see more of the Iris Family members here

The plant "family tree" is extremely complex, as you can imagine,
    and I'm definitely NO expert,
    :D to be absolutely accurate, I probably should have said that your Belamcanda
    was in both the Lily and the Iris families ( [​IMG] or somthin' like that),
    because technically, the Iris family is a sub-group within the HUGE Liliidae sub-class.
    (but that would be sort of like saying that John Smith is a member of the Human family
    instead of the Smith family - both statements are true, but one is more specific.)

It goes kinda like this:
    Kingdom Plantae - All Plants
    Subkingdom Tracheobionta - Vascular plants
    Superdivision Spermatophyta - Seed plants
    Division Magnoliophyta - Flowering plants
    Class Liliopsida - Monocotyledons
    Subclass Liliidae -
    Order Liliales -
    Family Iridaceae - Iris family (and here, finally, :D is where we find your gorgeous Belamcanda)
    Genus Iris - (and here - at last - is the branch of the family tree
    where we find those plants we traditionally think of as Iris)

:-? Well, that's probably more than you ever wanted to know,
    and some (or all) of it may be completely incorrect.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

**edit to add** Oh, :oops: and when to divide,
    I would definitely wait until it has concluded blooming,
    and maybe even wait until early fall, at least here in my area.

13. Tflynn

Tflynn New Seed

omg ZuZu you are a doll! You found it! I looked it up on one of the links and THAT'S my plant!!!!!! Belamcanda Chinensis Iridaeceae!!! WOW! My friends thought I was ....well, you know ( a wee bit off balance ) because I just could not accept that it was NOT somehow related to the iris ( the leaves are identicle)I laready printed the info out for proof! I searched and searched and searched... but never searched under iridaceae.No one ever suggested that I could possibly be on track, so instead of following through I continued searching for lily! Thaaaaaankyou! yipppeee!

You all probably think Iam just plum nuts getting all excited over this plant.... but I'm new to it all and thought wow I have grown a monster "champion" plant! Ok Ok.... I am coming back to earth now! :-D

14. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Teresa, this fall when you divide or when the seeds ripen, I would love to have some that you don't have room for. Just keep me in mind, maybe I will have something by then I can send you in return.

15. zuzu's petals

:D You are very, very welcome.
    You may be "new to it all", as you've said, :smt023 but you have great instincts.

16. bethie

bethie Young Pine

I was so glad to see your post. I grow "Candy Lilies" which are very similar being a hybrid cross of the blackberry lily. I just remarked to hubby last week that I have NEVER seen them so tall. Must be something in the air. Spooky.... 8)
    Also, here in zone 7 I start the seeds for these in mid-August. They winter over fine very small and then they WILL bloom next summer. :)